~~~~~~~~~~~

Mara stepped into the dark swirling abyss, and this time was definitely different from the last. She was overcome with a feeling of fear and the matter in the portal was cold and slimy. It didn’t feel right to her, it almost felt as if the portal was alive, alive and villainous. She shivered as she made her way through and hit a barrier. It seemed as if the portal was at war with itself.

Mara could see the darkness around her clashing with the shimmering blues and purples. The grey was winning, she watched in awe as the blues and purples began to shrink away. Mara turned away forging ahead towards the end.

She fell out of the portal on the other side gasping for air. Just like before, the trip had happened in that one step, but it had seemed like so much more than that. Within that one step she had seen and felt so much inside the portal.  Mara never wanted to experience that cold, desolate place ever again.

Mara gained her composure and headed soundlessly up the stairs. She found Natalie sitting in the living room with the television on. “Natalie?”

Mara bit her tongue; she hadn’t meant to say anything yet. She still hadn’t been sure she wanted Natalie to know she had left the school.

Her aunt screamed and jumped off the couch, swinging her arms defensively in front of her. She could feel magic being summoned up, ready to use it if necessary.

“Mara! What on earth are you doing here? You’re supposed to be at school.”

“I came home for a little bit. Zander helped me get here,” she confessed. “I had to see Sarah and Matt."

“You’re not supposed to leave school grounds, how did you even get here?”

“I already told you, Zander helped me. And like you never broke the rules when you were in school,” she said pointedly.

“Don’t try to shift this onto me. How did he help you?”

“He created a portal on a wall,” Mara shrugged.

“He created a portal? What’s happened to the security in that place? You kids should not be making portals. It’s dangerous! Any number of things could go wrong and you could get hurt, or worse,” Natalie began to shout.

“Chill out Natalie, it’s fine. I’m in one piece. I just need to visit my friends and then I’ll go back. I’ll be back before classes start again,” Mara said as she started to back up towards the door.

“You bet you’re going back, and you're going the right way!” She shouted after Mara’s retreating figure.

Mara ran out to her car and drove until she pulled up in front of the familiar house. She hesitantly got out and walked up the creaking steps she had sat on so many times before with her best friend. It was where they had talked for hours about whatever was on their mind. She kept going, making her way past the porch swing where she and Sarah used to sit and laugh about the drama and horrors of school.

She made her way to the front door, running her fingers over the mesh screen before pressing the doorbell. Mara stood there waiting silently for a response.

After an excruciatingly long period of time, the wood door opened, and Sarah’s face appeared behind the screen. Sarah’s eyes widened before turning into angry slits as she processed what was happening.

“Mara, what the hell?” The anger was thick in her voice, bringing out the thick southern accent she had only when she was emotional.

“Sarah, I’m sorry I didn’t email you back. I-”