Chapter 1

"You don't look like a Megarian."

"A what?" August gawked at the boy in front of him, unsure where to look first. The strange light blonde hair, the piercing blue eyes, or the strange pointy armor that clung to firm muscles. 

"A Megarian," The boy repeated. Mal, his name was Mal. At least, that was how he introduced himself just a moment ago. Walked right up to the tree August was seated under, smiling like he had a secret. It was a nice smile, handsome enough that August's fingers stalled on a chord and he lost his place in the song he'd been writing. Mal didn't look much older than August, maybe eighteen but he carried himself with an air of maturity. At least, that was before he started talking gibberish.

August slowly lowered his guitar into his lap. "Right and what's that?"

Mal laughed, "Come on. Your family must have told you."

A familiar sour feeling curled up in August's stomach at the mention of his family. "No, they didn't."

"Your father?"

"I don't know him." August frowned, he wasn't keen on opening up about his family matters to strangers. They would only judge him. The son of a single mother, whose father ran off not once but twice. His brother Alex knew the man better than August, but they rarely talked about him. The second time their father left had been the hardest on both his mother and brother.

Mal hummed, not looking at all surprised. "That's odd because he talks about you and your brother all the time. You look just like him you know."

"Wait- what?" August's dark eyes widened, his guitar slipped from his hands for a second before his reflexes kicked in. His brother also told him that he resembled his father more times then August could count. "How do you know that?"

"Becuase I know Bastion," Mal' tone was almost teasing, his smile grew the tiniest bit.

A skeptical frown crossed August's features, "Right... and I'm a rockstar."

"A Megarian," Mal said in an exasperated tone, his eyes squinted at August, trying to determine something.

"Is that suppose to explain the outfit?" August motioned towards Mal's strange attire. The material wasn't anything he recognized. It was hard but lacked the sheen of metal. Instead, it reminded him of a caterpillar's cocoon, the fabric wrapped and swirled into the hard edges of the armor, making a breastplate. It was the color of champagne, a shade darker then Mal's light colored skin.

Mal smiled in response to August's scrutinizing gaze. "You can have one too you know."

August barked a laugh as he climbed to his feet. "Thanks but no thanks. You may be cute but I don't cosplay or... whatever it is you are doing?"

Light blonde brows knitted together as Mal frowned, "you think I'm cute?"

"I'm leaving," August sighed, "If you do know my father tell him it's a little late for father-son bonding time. That train left a long time ago and I don't need the additional angst in my life."

He stepped past Mal, back onto the beaten up dirt path in the city park. A buzz of irritation hummed through his body at the mention of his father, but it eased as the sunlight hit his face and the noise of laughing children filled the air.

A hand suddenly gripped his wrist, forcing August to turn and meet Mal's piercing gaze. "I came to this planet because I need your help August."

"How do you know my name?" He stared at the other boy in surprise. The grip on his wrist gave a hard squeeze, causing him to wine. There was real strength there, unnatural strength. He scowled in response, "Look. I don't want to get involved. I don't know what my dad told you but I'm not a Meg or whatever you're called. Now, I gotta go home."