Chapter One

Chapter One
"Order up," I announced from behind the counter of Mama's Pizzeria.

A petite girl walked up to the counter, grabbing all five pizza boxes with ease. Stacked up, they covered her face, but it didn't seem to bother her. As strong as she seems to be, even I know this is a disaster in the making. Before I could get up to help the girl, one of my coworkers beat me to it.

"Do you need some help," James asked the small girl.

"Um, could you get the door for me," she asked, her voice soft.

"Of course," James laughed, shooting her his award winning smile. I saw her blush from behind the pizza boxes and I rolled my eyes.

James doesn't do anything without an ulterior motive. I wouldn't be surprised if he comes back with her number. With his dark hair and bright blue eyes, it's no surprise that he's a complete lady killer. His height and strong build is just the topping on the cake. What the girl's don't get in looks, they get in charm. He definitely has a way with words. And a way with being a pain in my ass.

"Excuse me," an older lady questioned me.

I looked over at her and smiled. "Welcome to Mama's Pizzeria. What can I get for you?"

She took a while to respond, asking me a ton of questions about what kind of toppings we have. We ended up having a very long conversation about why we don't carry pineapples, and it took her ten minutes to finally decide on an order.

Once I called back her order and gave her the change, my savior came.

"Sorry I'm late," Mia sighed, tying an apron around her waist.

"It's okay," I informed her, grinning. My mood always shines when the person who takes the next shift comes along. Even when they are 45 minutes late.

"It's really not. I'll return the favor at some point. The babysitter cancelled last minute," Mia ranted as she took my place at the register.

She's a young, single mom. Her high school sweetheart got her pregnant senior year and ran out on her the second she told him the news. Now she's a single mother of twins, working two jobs to keep a roof over their heads. If I was any better off than she was, I would give her some money or help her out. However, I'm just as broke as she is.

"It's okay Mia, really. I can always use the extra cash anyways," I told her honestly.

"You're a lifesaver," Mia gushed as I walked into the back to clock out.

After clocking out and grabbing my jacket, I reached into the back pocket of my jeans and checked my phone. 11:15. I sighed. I hate walking the streets of Chicago this late at night.

"Mia, my favorite cashier," James exclaimed as he walked behind her, making sure to brush her butt as he did. I watched her tense, but not say anything.
That's usually the way things go with James and girls. They can't tell if the things he does are an accident or not, so they never say anything. Well, with all girls except me. He hasn't tried that on me since I kneed him where the sun doesn't shine after he grabbed my butt for the first time.

I shook my head at the encounter and walked out of the pizzeria. I can never get out of that place fast enough. It's a terrible job. The customers tend to be rude and indecisive, the boss is a sexist pig, and my coworker is practically a sex offender. However, I get paid $13.50 an hour, and I need the money for rent.