2. Desperate Measures

Depuis le début

"I can just afford one camera, for the time being." My voice strained, a knot in my stomach caused me physical pain. This was wrong. Everything about it was wrong. Kash slipped the money in the inside of his coat pocket and scanned the man behind the counter.

"Hey-get me a coke." He ordered the staff.

"One camera will get you nowhere." He said. "It will have to do. Where's your keys?"

Automatically, I fished my keys from my hand bag and handed it to him. Kash unhooked the front door Yale key and pocketed it.

"What are you doing?"

"I need access to the flat."

"How will I get in?"

"Tell the landlord you lost your key."

The cashier called Kash as his drink was ready.

"When will you do it? When will you install the camera?" I pursued him to the till where he slapped change on the counter.

"Soon. Let me know when Zayn is away. It doesn't take long."

"Zayn's rarely at home. He's in Bristol on a job."

"Good. Make sure it stays that way."

Standing outside against the window of the shop, we stood side by side waiting for the rain to subside. Kash's red Bentley was parked on the opposite side of the road where passers-by would linger to take selfies of the luxury vehicle in the rain.

"Zeenat will be proud of you." He sipped staring at his car. "There was something about her, she never had the courage that you do. She wasn't decisive as you. Always dithering, changing her mind, back and forth. Unlike you, you know what you want, and you go and get it."

There was a sharp look in Kash's eye. He straightened fed his collars up, pressed his bowler hat on his head ready to brave the rain and make a dash for his car.

"One last thing." He stepped closer to me.

"When you get a chance, in front of the cameras, ask Zayn about that night. What he did do to Zeenat? Make him confess in front of the camera."

"Do you think he had a part to play?" A cold chill puckered my skin.

Kash pulled out his pack of cigarettes and lit one up. He looked at the two young boys taking pictures of his car.

"Every man needs to confess his sins to someone be it a friend or a stranger. Will you be that someone?"

"Of course."

"Zeenat was a beautiful woman. She was fragile like a china doll. Any man could easily fall in love with her vulnerability. She needed someone to take care of her. Sometimes, I go through our Facebook messages. Our real ones, not the one that fake girl is sending after she died." He lightly shook his head with disgust.

"I can hear the sweetness in her words, her softness. I still can't believe she has gone." He paused and took a long drag of his cigarette.

"I still can't believe I won't hear her naughty laughter. She was lost, alone and needed someone to understand her. I couldn't reach out to her. I don't want to make that same mistake twice."

"Did you have feelings for her?"

"Maybe if I was honest and told her how I felt she would have still been with us." He admitted.

If ever I had doubt, today it was removed. Kash was in love with Zeenat. He was heartbroken, and he was making it up to her. We both wanted the same thing; truth and justice.

"Zayn's days are over." He threw his cigarette and stamped on it. "Together, we will destroy him."

With a spring in his step, he lunged into the street, splashing through the puddles and sprinted to his car. The red brake lights flashed bright, lighting up his registration plate that read 'KSH 55.' He left me  coveting with thoughts of his luxurious life, driving expensive cars, wearing designer clothes and living in a comfortable large detached house. A life that Amjad could have easily given me, if only I was patient with his mistake. Maybe dad was right. I didn't want poverty. Dad was a provider, I may have suffered in my childhood, but we never went without anything. The thought of returning to that shabby flat, with a broken boiler and rickety mattress, burdened me with great sadness. I wanted to go home to my mum and dad. Zara drew on the car window, blowing on the pane filling it with mist. She drew two dotted eyes, a round nose and a long frown.

"Oh Zara! It won't be long now." I whispered with hope.

Now Kash had the money, he could cover the cost of the camera and the installation.

It was a matter of waiting for his signal.