Chapter 6

"It's my turn to ask now. Do you go to school? Like, were you ever in a school in your life?" Su asked Zari while they were taking a walk around the compound.

"No. Never. At first my mother tutored me, like addition and things... But there are all kinds of professors and other specialists in our crew, so they just give me lessons whenever they make port here. We also have quite a large collection of books..."

"Why would a bunch of professors want to be pirates?"

"Most people are here because they made one tiny mistake and the world wouldn't let them forget it. We never let talent go to waste here. And we pay way better."

"So they taught you everything we learn at school?"

"And way more. Not to brag... But I've been told my algebra skills are at a college level. My mother even lets me crunch the numbers for most of our trading deals." Zari smirked proudly.

"OK, your turn to ask now."

"Um... Can your mom really know every time you lie to her?"

"Unfortunately, yes. But she mostly doesn't care what I do... If Lin could know when I'm lying... Then I'd be ruined." she chuckled.

"Maybe you can do it. Feel when someone's lying. Try it!"

"I can't even see with my feet. I don't think it's going to work..." Su reluctantly took off her shoes and closed her eyes to concentrate.

"You never know unless you try. OK... I'm eleven years old. I'm ten years old." Zari said, "Which one is it?"

"I don't feel anything. Eleven?" Su opened her eyes again.

"No, I'm ten. But it's OK. My mother always knows when someone is lying and she's not an earthbender. I think you're a great bender, even without that." Zari smiled at her. She really hoped he wasn't lying about that. Not that she could tell...

"My turn now." she started, "If you don't go to school, then how do you find friends? You do have friends, don't you?" That was kind of personal, but they agreed: no limits on questions.

"Well, I stay here most of the time. Me and some captains go way back..."

"I meant someone our age." Su's face expression turned worried.

"There used to be some members who had children living with them. But they all leave eventually. And I stay here... I mean, it's good here, I have my tutors, my mom. And anything I could wish for."

"And you never get to leave?"

"Mother led me on missions, but there you kind of attack people. Not make friends." he made a pause, "But she did take me out one time. We went to a festival in a small village once. And we saw a play. Love amongst the Dragons. It was so amazing! The best night of my life! Only, we had to leave just before the play ended because my mom got really upset. At first I thought she just missed my dad, but she told me later it was because her mother used to take her to see that play. So I never got to see how it ends..."

"I can tell you. I saw it with Aunt Katara and Uncle Aang once. If you want that to count as your question..." Su suggested.

"Yeah, yeah! I really loved the whole festival actually. All those people... The colors, the music. I just thought I'd go when I'm older, you know... But I don't want to wait."

"I wanted to go again when I'm older too. But my sister said it was a cheesy thing that only couples could do. That it was lame to go alone."

"Well, when we're older I'll be a man and you'll be a woman. We could go together. Undercover, of course."