Chapter 4

Caleb's POV

"I... I.." Bella tries to speak.

I angrily throw the paper down and go back into the house, Bella following me.

"Why?!" I snap, "Why the hell would you need a DNA test?"

"Because... because," a few tears go down her cheeks.

"I just never thought that," I start but cut myself off. I angrily shake my head at the floor.

"It was that night when we were arguing. And, I just.. you know, I was upset. I was really upset with you and I didn't want to stay here," she says.

"So you went off and slept with someone else?!"

"Let me explain, please," she cries.

"Please do," I say angrily.

"Like I said, I left when I got upset. I went to my grandpa's guest house. I wanted to be alone, Caleb, I wanted to be alone!"

"Obviously you didn't if you invited someone else over!" I yell.

"I didn't invite him," she sobs, "he just showed up."

"Oh, right. He just showed up. Yeah, okay, well who was it, Bella? Who was it?!"

"I can't... I can't," she shakes her head slowly.

"Tell me, Bella! Tell me right now who you slept with that night."

"Caleb, I can't."

"TELL ME!!"

"Jace!" She cries, "it was Jace. I slept with Jace."

I take a moment to process what she said. Jace? My very best friend since Kindergarten?

"What?" I say softly.

"Caleb," she slowly walks over to me.

"No," I glare at her, "don't come near me."

"Caleb, the test was negative. We're having a baby, it's your baby," she breathes out.

"I can't even look at you," I state, going upstairs. I pack a bag for myself before coming back down.

"No, Caleb, please don't go. I love you," she won't stop crying.

I give her one last look before going out the door. I find a hotel and check in. Who knows how long I'll be here. All I know is I can't be near Bella. I can't stand to look at her.

A Few Days Later

Maddie's POV

Catie has been staying at my apartment, and we have been having the best time. Gabby came and spent a couple nights, too. It's really nice that Catie is here. She's really been lightening up my mood a little.

I haven't seen Caleb since that day when he had dinner with Gabby, Cade, and I. Honestly, I'm a little worried about him. I decide to send Cade a text.

'Have you seen or heard from Caleb lately?'

It doesn't take him long to send me a text back, 'I haven't. Hope he's okay. All I know is Bella said he left a few days ago and she doesn't know where he is.'

Huh? Why would he do that?

I hear a knock on my door. I open it to Catie, who went out to get us dinner.

"Gabby will be here in a few minutes," I say.

"Oh, cool. Hey, you haven't been talking to Caleb have you?" She asks.

"No, I haven't. I haven't seen him out, either. Why?"

"I saw him," she sighs.

"You did?!" I exclaim.

"Yeah. He was going in a hotel," she raises her eyebrows.

"What?" I say blankly.

"Yeah," she breathes out, "It was, uhhh, I don't remember the name. The one that's the next block from broadway?"

Is it a bad decision to go to him? Something must be wrong if he's staying in a hotel and not at home. But will I bother him?

"Okay, uh," I smile and go over to the door before turning around and looking back at her, "When Gabby comes, will you just let her in, please?"

"Okay?" Catie laughs, "you're going to see Caleb?"

I smile, "Maybe he needs a friend."