One Last Goodbye

James apperated a few feet from the front door to his and his wife Lily's home in Godric's Hollow. He sighed and ran a hand through his messy hair, trying to unstress himself from the Order meeting he had just come from. He took a deep breath and then briskly walked into his home.

  "James?" A voice called from somewhere in the house. "Is that you?"

  "Yes darling!" James called back, tugging his coat off and hanging it up. He heard foot steps and then Lily appeared from the stairwell, looking at her husband.

   "How was the meeting?" She asked, walking towards him.

   "Alright." James replied, kissing his wife on the forehead.

   "Alright?" Lily asked, looking at her husband with an eyebrow raised. She knew way more than he let off, even if he barely knew half the stuff that went on at the meeting.

    "Yes, it went alright. How's Harry?" James asked.

   "I just put him down for bed." Lily replied. "Took a good hour or so, but he's asleep."

   "I'm going to say goodnight to him and then we'll go to bed also. What do you say?" He asked her.

   "You didn't tell me how the meeting went." Lily said to him as she crossed her arms stubbornly. He sighed again and met her eyes.

    "Really darling, it's not that important." Jame said, putting a fake smile on his face.

    "Well if it's not that important than you can tell me." Lily countered.

   "They want to attack Voldemort." James said to her, dreading it the news.

    "What?" Lily gasped. "That's madness. It's a suicide mission!"

    "I know darling." James replied. "But they feel that if they manage to get through his line of Death Eaters and get to him, that they will be able to kill him and we will be safe.

    "Sirius came up with this, didn't he?" Lily demanded, anger boiling inside her. She knew they were safe for know. There was no way that Voldemort would be able to find them. They were well hidden and only one person knew they exact place of their safe house.

    "He's just trying to protect us Lily. He's trying to protect everyone." James reasoned. "You know he has good intentions in mind."

    "I know but that's mad! I don't want you, or anyone else I care about putting their lives at risk." Lily argued.

   "He's trying to kill us." James said quietly.

   "I know." Lily replied with a sigh. She walked over to James and fell into his embrace and rested her head against his chest.

    "Can I say goodnight to my son know?" James asked quietly. Lily nodded and pulled back, letting James walk by her and she followed him up the stairs. They walked into his small nursery where he lay in his crib, peacefully sleeping. James approached the crib and looked down on the sleeping toddler.

   "He's a daddy's boy you know." Lily whispered to James. James only smiled and looked at his son. After a few moments he replied.

   "I know."

   "I love you." Lily whispered, wrapping her arms around his neck.

   "I love you too Lily." James replied, snaking his arms around her waist. He lowered his head with the intention of kissing her but they both jumped ar the sound of a loud band coming from downstairs. They didn't know what the sound was exactly. But they both had a good guess to who was behind it. Harry started crying, awaken from the loud noise, and James and Lily's eyes met and they both knew who it was. A million things ran through both of their minds, most of the thoughts were things that they wanted to say to each other and that they never had, but James was the first to say something.

   "Lily I want you to take Harry and go. Get out of here. I'll hold him off." James said. He didn't wait for an answer as he took off out of the room and down the long hallway. Lily knew she couldn't get away fast enough. Lily bent down in front of the crib, her face level with her crying sons. She shushed him and that seemed to calm him down a little bit. Harry wasn't wailing anymore, but tears were running down his face. Almost like he knew what was going to happen. Lily could hear James yelling downstairs, but she couldn't make out his words. And then she heard those unforgivable words and James could no longer be heard.

   "Harry, Harry, you are so loved. So loved." Lily whispered to her son. Her hands gripped the bars of the crib as if it were her last lifeline and In a way it was. "Harry momma loves you, dadda loves you. Harry be safe, be strong."

   The small boy only whimpered in response, wanting his mother to pick him up and comfort him. Lily knew she was going to do anything to stop Voldemort from hurting her son. Anything. Lilly stood up and turned as Voldemort appeared in the doorway. Just the sight of him made Lily's skin crawl with disgust. He was such an evil man, one who walked around killing innocent people with no reason other then being bored. Lily noticed his wand in his hand, his long reptilian fingers gripping it.

   "Not Harry." Lilly begged. "Please not Harry."

   "Stand aside silly girl." He hissed at her. He had taken a couple of steps into the room, trying to see the boy. Lily made no moved for her wand, and didn't even think about moving from her position in front of her son.

   "No not Harry. Please not Harry. Have mercy.... have mercy..." Lily begged again. She didn't like begging for her son's life to this horrible man, a man who had just killed her husband. But it was the only way she could save her son. But saving Harry was the only intention that Lily had right now.. She wished she could have had enough time to take Harry and apperate somewhere safe. Somewhere Voldemort could not find them, but she didn't. She didn't even dare turn her back on the man. She wished she had more time. More time to think, more time to get out of this place, more time with James and Harry. But time was not on Lily's side.

   "Fine." Voldemort said. "You leave me no choice." 

   Lily could see why so many people seemed to fear this man. Why so many people quaked in terror just by his name. She could see that he would not hesitate on killing her and getting his way. She could see he didn't care that he was threatening a young women and a small toddler. He was heartless. He raised his hand and time seemed to freeze as he pointed it at her. 'I should've fought him.' Lily thought to herself.

    "AVADA KADAVERA!"

    Lily's last scream echoed through the seemingly empty house. Lily's lifeless body crumbled to the ground and her now vacant stare was fixed on the ceiling. Her red hair cascaded around her body perfectly as if she were meant to lay there like that. Harry wailed from the crib for his mother and father but they were both gone, they had both sacrificed their lives from him.

___________________________________________________________________

 So, i'm actually really happy with the way I typed this one. I'm not used to third person and all, but it's probably one of the best i've typed. Honestly, this was shorter before and I managed to double it. Sorry, it's still short:/  But tell me what you think? Oh, and Maddy metioned that James was in the living room when he was killed? I'm sorry.... I'm too lazy to change it. Forgive me?:P

~Sheldon