Chapter Fifty-Six

Millions of thoughts were running through Renata's head to the point where it was difficult to think straight or even process what had just happened

Millions of thoughts were running through Renata's head to the point where it was difficult to think straight or even process what had just happened. However, while her mind couldn't settle, she could definitely feel the pain in her chest as everything James had said was the equivalent of multiple stab wounds. She thought after the day before that everything had been handled and there wouldn't be any more issues revolving around the term "mummy" but she was so incredibly wrong. It wasn't just what James said that made it hurt, it was the way he had said it that made it all a hundred times worse. He was making it a point to Harry that she would never be his mother and bringing up Lily was the driving home factor.

In a way, she knew he was right, she wasn't Harry's mother, as much as she wanted to be. But the way he grew so upset over it, enough that he snatched the small shovel from Harry's hand and took to yelling at his son on his birthday, she would have never anticipated such a reaction. But he made it very clear, that she was "Renata" and nothing more, not even the nanny in the way he put it. And while all she wanted to do was leave the flat and just somewhere else, Renata couldn't bring herself to leave Harry right away.

The way he screamed as James attempted to apologise to him, she saw the fear in his eyes because his father had never acted in such a manner towards him. She didn't want Harry to be upset ever, but especially not on his birthday. It was supposed to be his special day and so far, it appeared as though it was ruined. As she made her way inside, she could hear Molly and Augusta calling after her, telling her to wait so they could speak with her, but she made her way to Harry's room and closed the door over.

Harry sat on his bed, crying as his face was red and his cheeks were wet from the tears. Already he had developed the hiccups that caused his entire body to jolt with each one. Making her way over to him, Renata knelt down before Harry in front of his bed and placed her hands on his knees.

"Harry, you don't have to be upset," she whispered to him, " you don't have to cry. It's alright. Your father was just being incredibly silly...mean...but silly. He's not angry with you, he's angry with me. It's all my fault and I'm so sorry I ruined your birthday. That was the last thing I ever wanted to happen, I wanted it to be perfect for you because you deserved it more than anything."

She was sure that he didn't understand anything she was really saying to him but offering a soothing voice as much as possible, she hoped that it would bring him to stop crying. He did eventually look up at her, leaving Renata to force a small smile on her face as she cleaned his face with her sleeve.

"See? No crying," she said, only to have Harry reach his little hand out and wipe away the stray tear that she had missed. His bottom lip still trembled and even through her smile, it looked as though Renata was going to break at any second. Before either one of them started to cry, she reached her arms out and Harry flung himself forward for a hug.

"I'm so sorry, Harry," she cried, unable to really hold herself back any longer, " I should have corrected you, I should have...I could have prevented all this from happening and I didn't. I didn't because I actually enjoyed you calling me "Mummy." I know it sounds weird or whatever they want to call it but I really did enjoy it. But your father is right, I'm not your mother, I wish I was, but I'm not and I never will be."