Chapter Twenty-Six

As if the situation didn't call for enough going wrong at the time, it started to rain, and James started to panic as the same set of feelings were burrowing themselves into his chest

As if the situation didn't call for enough going wrong at the time, it started to rain, and James started to panic as the same set of feelings were burrowing themselves into his chest. It was the same sickly feeling of being useless during a time where someone needed him the most. Right now, he was looking at Renata, who was failing to wake up after her blood phobia had caught her at the worst time. It didn't cross his mind at any point that there was potential that there would be blood at a match, even though he had witnessed plenty of similar scenarios over the course of time when he played.

Getting hit with a bludger was never like getting hit with a pillow and being the self-proclaimed Quidditch enthusiast that he was, James knew, he should have known better. He should have known to at least give Renata a warning that there was potential that she could witness spilt blood. It was a sport that relied on the idea of Beaters striking the opponents out of the sky in hopes of bettering the chances for their team to score and find the Golden Snitch. Why he didn't think of it beforehand, he figured he was far too caught up in the excitement of the match.

It was the same thing that had got him in trouble in the first place, the reason he had lost Lily. He would get caught up in an idea or an event, and due to that, he never thought something through completely. When he looked back at the situation with Lily, he realised that he could have contacted Dumbledore so many different ways besides actually leaving the home. He had left his family exposed to all the horrors that occurred that evening and he hadn't even been around to try and help.

Now with Renata, he should have been mindful of her phobia, after all, she was mindful of everything in the household to make sure things didn't go wrong. He didn't think to warn her and even at that moment as he had her sitting up in his arms, he felt completely useless because he didn't know what to do. People around them, including Remus, seemed to be trying different methods but nothing was working. No one around him knew what was going on in his head, but they could read the fear on his face.

But it was simply because the way he was holding Renata's body was the same way he had held Lily's body when he found her on the floor of their home after Severus Snape departed in a rush. He was trying not to think of such a thing, after all, Renata wasn't dead, she was just unconscious, but he was praying that she would wake up sooner rather than later. As he had jumped to conclusions as to why Renata's parents, specifically her mother, hadn't let Renata attend Quidditch games, he was beginning to think that he had probably jumped to a reason that wasn't the case at all.

He had painted a picture of her parents being controlling in so many aspects but perhaps he didn't understand that maybe they were trying to protect their daughter. Maybe they had anticipated something like this happening so they never allowed her to attend matches, in fear that she would get hurt. Thankfully, he hadn't voiced such things because then he really would have looked like a royal arse.

Yet, while James felt like he had been reaching with his thoughts, perhaps he wasn't as far off from uncovering the truth. A truth that even Renata wasn't even aware of, even though it involved her own actual life.