10/13

— i'm so afraid- in the end, will you leave me too?

"My, my, my. I don't recall either of you making an appointment to see me."

Shisui greeted Itachi and [Name] with a smirk as they opened the door to his office, with Itachi being recognised by the receptionist who immediately allowed them through to Shisui.

"Is that what I have to do to see you these days?" sighed Itachi as he walked into the room, sitting down across from his cousin. [Name] simply wandered around the Uchiha's office, staring at the charts on the walls and ogling out his optometry equipment.

"Hello, [Name]," called out the unruly haired Uchiha, catching the [Surname] by surprise as she busied herself reading a poster about macular degeneration. "I haven't seen you in a while. How's uni?"

"Don't even get me started," sighed [Name], crossing her arms as she stood behind Itachi and leaned her weight against the back of his chair. "You seem to be busy nowadays. I didn't realise so many people had eyesight problems around here."

"It's an epidemic," shrugged the optometrist. "But I don't mind. I get paid to fix their problems, so I'm not complaining."

[Name] laughed at Shisui's bluntness, causing a feeling of unrest within Itachi.

"I should've done optometry too," sighed the [Surname]. "You look rich."

Both Shisui and Itachi burst into laughter at the female's comment.

"Ever so direct!" chortled Shisui, amused by [Name]'s straightforwardness. "Is that all you look for in a man? Someone rich?"

[Name] put her nose up in the air at Shisui's words.

"Of course not!" she argued. "But, you know... it would be nice."

"What are you studying now? Psychology?"

"Yeah. But I want to go on exchange next year. I want to make my final year at uni a memorable one, you know?"

Itachi was taken aback by the news. He hadn't ever heard [Name] talk about going overseas before, but then again, she had never heard him speak of his engagement to Emika until recently either.

"That's a good idea!" said Shisui encouragingly, nodding at the [Surname]'s fervour. "Where were you thinking of going?"

"Actually, I've already applied for this university in New Zealand..."

"New Zealand! I loved it there! You should visit Queenstown when you have the chance, especially during winter!"

As [Name] engaged in vigorous conversation with Shisui, Itachi remained silent as he watched the pair's body language. For a moment, he envied his cousin. He was free to do what he wanted, when he wanted to. He was able to study what he liked, and then get a job that he liked.

And judging from the way he seemed invested in his conversation with [Name], he was free to pursue her if he liked.

Itachi loved Shisui. He really did.

But in that moment, he absolutely loathed him.