Chapter five

"Nothing that great happened when Maya and Lucas hung out at our house. He said he just gave her a house tour and then they hung out in his room watching tv. After that Thursday became there day. Everyday after school Maya would come over since for the most part no one was home. Sometimes my mom would be. My mom was very excited to meet her. This next story was about a week after that." Riley says.

Maya is sitting on her bed watching tv when she gets a text from Lucas. Normally they never text each other. They always call. It's pretty old school but they like it.

The text read, "Maya, pack your bags and come down in ten minutes"

Maya wrote back, "Are you crazy?? I am NOT running away with you"

And that was the end of that conversation. Maya put her phone face down on her nightstand and went back to watching tv.

Ten minutes later there was a knock on the front door. Katy, Maya's mother answered it.

"Good morning Miss. Hart. My name is Lucas Matthews" He says to her.

"Are you the Lucas I always hear about? The cowboy from Texas who gave birth to a horse?" She asks.

Lucas nods his head. "That's me ma'am" He says.

"It's so great to finally meet you. That is really all Maya has told me about you" She says.

"It's nice to meet you too" Lucas says.

"Maya is in her bedroom. Let me go get her" Katy says.

She leaves Lucas in the front door. She goes to Maya's room and knocks on the door. Maya heard there entire conversation.

"Come in mom" She says.

"Hi honey. Lucas is here." Katy says.

"I know" Maya says and stands up. "Also, next time can you not tell him that I told you he has a horse fetish" She says walking at the door.

"A horse what?" Katy asks but got no answer.

"Hi cowboy" Maya says when she sees Lucas.

"Hi Maya" He says back.

Katy sat at the kitchen table and listened to there conversation.

"I was wondering if you wanted to come somewhere with me" Lucas says.

"I already told you Lucas. I'm not running away with you" Maya says.

"We aren't running away. Do you want to come to my grandparents lake cabin for a night? It's about a hour upstate" Lucas says.

Maya turns around and they both look at Katy.

"It's fine with me. Have fun just don't get into trouble." Katy says

"Great. I'll drop her back off tomorrow night" Lucas says.

Maya takes Lucas's hand and starts pulling him to her bedroom. "This place better be pretty. I need some new inspiration" She says.

"Trust me. It is" Lucas says.

Maya starts packing her bag while Lucas sits on her bean bag chair looking around. Maya has some of her paintings hung up on her walls. Her closet has about fifty more stacked up on the floor. She had a desk that had more paint on it then any of her paintings. Lucas started to think that she got bored one day and started actually painting her desk. Maya placed a camera in her bag.

"You take pictures too?" Lucas asks.

"A little bit." She starts. "Sometimes I just take pictures and then transfer whatever I see onto a canvas. I have a digital and then a Polaroid" She says.

"That's cool" Lucas says.

Once Maya was all packed, she went to say goodbye to her mother and then they left.

"Is this your version of taking me on a adventures vacation?" She asks as Lucas starts driving.

"No. It's wasn't meant to be adventurous but we can have a little bit of adventure if you want" Lucas says.

"I would like that. Do they have any toxic lakes that will turn you into a zombie if you go in?" Maya asks.

"No but my grandparents lake is gross enough" Lucas says.

"Cool" Maya says. You could tell she was interested in the gross lake.

"There's a few rules at the lake house since it's pretty old" Lucas says.

"Blah blah blah. Tell me about them when I break them" She says

"Maya" Lucas warns.

"Ok fine. Tell me all about your house rules" Maya says and the rest of the car ride was spent with Lucas telling Maya rules and Maya telling him how she would break them.