An Old Friend

"Ok, what are we supposed to be looking for exactly?" Y/N asked Minho, peering over his shoulders to scan the map he held in his hands.

"A kind of blue box with this symbol on it," He passed a piece of paper to Y/N with a haphazard sketch on it signed by Vince. "Vince said those boxes will have sterile bandages in them."

"Shouldn't be too hard." Y/N shrugged and moved forwards. The building the pair was traversing though was obviously an old, abandoned medical facility. White walls, floors which once would have been smooth and hallways that seemed to go on forever. With each step, their movements echoed throughout the hollow building eerily.

Roughly an hour passed and Y/N and Minho found no sign of the blue box they were in search of. The place had already been ransacked however many years ago and any of the supplies that were left were pretty much useless.

"Slow down shebean—" Minho warned, but it was too late. Y/N had blindly walked right onto a piece of flooring that was nearly completely disintegrated. A hole in the roof left the spot unsheltered from years and years of rain, wind and other extreme weather. The moment the girl stepped onto it, the floor buckled beneath her feet.

If being a runner did anything good for her, it had improved her reflexes. Which, in this case, may have just saved her life. As the floor all around her crumbled away, she managed to catch onto a piece of exposed metal, thrashing around, trying to shield her eyes from the debris falling into them.

"Y/N!" Minho screamed, immediately throwing himself to the floor, dispersing his weight and reaching out his hand. "Don't shucking let go."

"Like hell I will!" Y/N snapped back. The floor continued to disintegrate, but she held on, trying to get closer to Minho. Once she was close enough, he grabbed onto her arm, and with all of his strength, pulled her up.

Apparently, Minho underestimated his own strength. He didn't just pull her back up onto the ledge, but threw her right into himself. Minho fell backwards and closed his eyes, bracing for impact. When he opened them, Y/N's face was just inches from his. Her face was flushed, eyes frantic, breath hot on his skin. Minho's heart nearly exploded and he chocked on his own spit.

"W-Well this is new," He snickered, a sly smirk spreading across his face.

"Minho, shut up." Y/N rolled her eyes. "I almost died."

"Falling for me." Minho added in.

Y/N raised a brow and nearly smacked him across the face. "Or falling through a floor!"

"It's basically the same thing." He laughed and inched his face closer to hers teasingly. Disappointment washed over him when Y/N turned away, eyes locking onto something to her left. The expression on her face told him she hadn't done it to avoid him, though. Something else had caught her attention.

"Somethings wrong..." Y/N paid closer attention to a figure down the hall next to her as it approached, slowing escaping the shadows that engulfed it.

It was a dog. One whose ears were now pinned and tail was between its legs.

Minho craned his neck to the right to look in the same direction as Y/N. The dog just stood there, so Y/N and Minho got back up and continued their search for the infamous blue box.

"Maybe we should name him chicken." Minho mumbled as he continued to dig through boxes upon boxes of abandoned supplies. The dog seemed to be growing increasingly nervous as the pair searched.

"Ok, something is really is wrong this time." Y/N stumbled back into the dark haired boy, the dog now snapping at the air and growling. Something was here with them.

It was only a few seconds before the pair was faced with the dogs cause of distress, but it felt like a million years. What came around the corner was not only the last thing they were expecting, but the last thing they could ever hope to see.

As they assumed, it was a crank. But, it wasn't just a crank. The face was familiar.

Y/N could hardly feel her heart beating because it skipped every second beat. Her body shook and hands twitched. Instinct told her to reach for the gun she had at her side, whilst another part of her said to just look away. But she couldn't, and neither could Minho.

"A-Alby?" The girl croaked, blinking her eyes a few times in hopes she was just seeing something. Maybe all this time in the scorch was getting to her, or maybe the water they had been drinking was contaminated. There was no way this was Alby.

There was no kind of recognition which came from the crank. Just crackles and coughs, a convulsing body and hazy eyes. The body was Alby's, but the mind wasn't. Y/N could feel Minho at her side reaching into his pocket. She assumed he was going for a knife, but he came back with the opposite. A vile of bliss serum.

Vince made them carry it anytime they left camp, just in case. But it was intended for one of them if they ever got bitten, not to go around injecting cranks that were already too far gone.

"No." Y/N narrowed her eyes on Minho. She knew the keeper of the runners had always been close with Alby, but giving him the serum would be a complete waste. "He's gone, Minho."

"We can try..." He whimpered. This was the first time Y/N had ever seen Minho break down since they'd lost Newt. It was like he couldn't think straight, completely blinded by what he saw to the world around him.