I'll Catch You

It was late, the group had been hanging upside down far too long for their own good, and the place was silent. Jorge had left a while ago and never came back. Being the kids they were, they'd developed a plan to end the torture of hanging upside down. After countless tries, Minho finally managed to push Teresa to the edge where she could grab hold of a railing and pull a lever. She untied herself and then went around, helping the Gladers to the edge one by one.

As they were being untied, the sounds of gunshots rang out and helicopters hummed overhead. WICKED was here and they knew it. The kids scrambled to get out as soon as they could, only to be halted by a man with a gun raised.

"We're not trying to cause any trouble, okay? We've just gotta get out of here." Thomas stuttered, arms raised in surrender before the man.

The man smiled sickly. "Is that so?"

Instinctively, Minho pushed Y/N behind his back guarding her from the line of fire. He'd come close to losing her one too many times now and wasn't going to let it happen again.

Thomas took a couple of hesitant, skittish steps back away from the man who stepped forwards, trying to convince the kids to follow him. Just as he got close enough, Thomas threw his arm upwards, hitting the gun, a shot firing into the air. The rest of the Gladers scattered a little bit while Minho reached both of his arms behind him to make sure Y/N was still here.

Despite the fight Thomas put up, the man broke free, still armed and pointing the gun right at Thomas. In seconds, a shot crackled and everyone jumped back. But, no one fell to the ground. The bullet hadn't hit any of them. At least, that's what they assumed since no one was crying out in agony or lifeless on the floor.

Instead, the man before them fell to the floor, revealing Brenda behind as he fell. She stood with shaky hands, her gun still raised. But, she snapped out of her daze soon enough, screaming at the Gladers to follow her. "C'mon, lets go!"

No one dared to disobey. They followed Brenda through the old warehouse upstairs to where Jorge was, all of his things already packed and slung over his back.

"Let's go, let's go, let's go!" He sung, in an almost too carefree manner for the situation they were in. Jorge guided the Gladers to an open window with a zip-line overhead.

"Right this way!" He smiled, and in seconds he was out the window, coasting from one building to the other. Frypan didn't exactly like the look of the old, rickety set up, but anything was better than ending up back at WICKED at this point.

Brenda urged everyone forwards, and the next to take the leap was Minho. He shot Y/N a quick nod of reassurance. "I'll be there to catch you, shebean."

Minho winked smugly and Y/N rolled her eyes, gripping onto one of the pulleys and shooting out of the window. The glide to other building was nothing less than sketchy, but, just as Minho had promised, he was there to catch her.

When he did, his nose wrinkled up in confusion, looking to his right hand in the dim light. "Y/N... are you?" He questioned, reaching again for the girls left arm.

"Are you bleeding?"

Y/N tried to push Minho away, making room for the rest of the Gladers who were crashing through the window. She only made it a few feet before he grabbed her again. "Y/N! Are you hurt?" He bellowed, causing the girl to freeze up.

"The bullet caught my arm, but it's not bad. I already checked." The girl explained, trying not to look up at the runner towering over her.

"Newt!" Minho cried, getting the blondes attention who ran over quickly. "You still got that scarf?"

"Yeah, why—" Minho didn't' even give an explanation before cutting Newt off by reaching into the boys back pocket and taking the scarf. He quickly, and not so gently, wrapped it tightly around Y/N's arm in hopes of stopping the bleeding.

"Barkley dude shot her." The runner finally explained, causing Newt's mouth to fall agape.

"He's an awful shot." Y/N laughed lightly, trying to mask the pain of Minho's rough touch on her arm.

Once Teresa and Aris' bodies came crashing into the building, the group was running once again. Jorge knew they had to get away from the warehouse as soon as they could because that thing was going to blow up big time. Luckily, being driven by adrenaline, running through the buildings and into the scorch wasn't too much of an issue. The ground rumbled and everyones eardrums stung when the explosion finally went off, but they were out of danger.

Jorge led the group to an abandoned building at the edge of the city, and carefully examined the place to ensure there were no cranks. To everyones relief, the place was clear and they all settled down on the cold, stone floor. While everyone else discussed how they were going to get Thomas and Brenda back after being separated, Minho dragged Y/N off to a spot where they could see out the window, the flames of the warehouse still up in the air.

While Y/N listened to Jorge telling the others about some place run by a man named Marcus, Minho checked on Y/N's arm. She flinched when he unravelled the scarf and replaced it with a cleaner piece of fabric. Once he was finished, he sat down right at her side, shoulder to shoulder, fiddling nervously with his shoe laces.

"So, you wanna talk about earlier?" He asked, practically cringing at his own words. He hated it. Hated being so confident around everyone besides Y/N.

"We were close. I think you can fill in the blanks." Y/N sighed, looking to the floor.

Minho grumbled under his breath and looked to the girl. Her hair almost looked a different colour, illuminated by the flames bellowing upwards a ways away. "I know I've kissed you before. Because today, when it happened, it felt familiar. Too familiar."

"Maybe it was someone else?" Y/N scoffed, eyes wide as she scanned his face.

"No. I'd know. It was you." He insisted.

Y/N bit her lip and gave up. Minho was stubborn, that sure hand't changed. "Ok, fine. It happened once."

Minho shifted nervously. "When? Why? How?"

"I kept beating you in races, and one day you just got so mad. I thought you were never going to talk to me again. But, instead, you just kissed me." She explained.

Sounded right. That was something Minho could see himself doing. He was proud of his younger self for having done it too.

Minho pursed his lips and nodded. "I'm so irresistible, you've fallen for me twice. Even after a memory wipe. Wow."

"I think it's the other way around," Y/N teased. "You're the one falling for me, aren't you?"

"Touché." He snickered, pulling the girl into his side and ruffling her hair. Even though Minho wanted to pry for even more of her memories, he was too tired to try. Leaning up against the wall with Y/N, he fell asleep so quickly there was no stopping it.

Dawn came far sooner than anyone wanted. Especially for Minho. When Newt came around to wake him and Y/N, he wanted to throw a fit to just be allowed a few more minutes there with Y/N in his arms. Soon ensued a game of tug-of-war between Minho and Newt as the blonde tried to pry Y/N away from the runner. He was met with a harsh blast of cold air once Y/N was pulled away and he curled into himself.

"Newt, you shuckface—"

"You can stay sleeping if you bloody want! But I assume you want breakfast before we leave?" Newt muttered in frustration.

The mention of food made Minho jump up, his body suddenly awake.

"Typical." Newt rolled his eyes and limped off towards the rest of the group who were all huddled in a small circle in the centre of the building.