CHAPTER TWENTY-THREE

Start from the beginning

My eyes raked over her body. Her long, slender legs evoked pleasant memories. Alexa might be inexperienced, but she satisfied cravings in more ways than one.

Typically, after I sleep with a woman, I am anxious to escape.

Yet with Alexa, I was prepared to let her stay the night.

Brad's hand waved in my face. "Are you still with me, Bossman?"

Cherry and the client disappeared in different directions.

"Am I paying Cherry for tonight?" he asked, and I shook my head. "Here." He slapped the confiscated cash onto my palm. "I am driving to Gateway with Nate to collect cranes. Do you need anything before we go?"

"No," I said as Alexa and Josh went downstairs to start their shift. "Come to the office later."

Brad gave me a two-finger salute.

I stayed in the hallway long after everyone left.

I went to the office and imbibed alcohol for hours to forget.

It doesn't matter how much I try to fight it. I had to speak to Alexa. I need to know what happened last night.

Loud club music reiterated around the cavernous room together with humid smog and flashing strobe lights. Drunken bodies crammed the space. I waded through throngs of people and beelined the bustling bar. Pushing through the door, I strolled past the operating glasswashers outback and lingered at the threshold to watch energetic employees tend to customer demand.

Alexa is nowhere in sight.

I went to the closest cash register, opened the drawer and deducted tonight's takings.

"Mr Warren." Natalie used a tea towel to wipe alcohol spillage on her fingers. "Did you need something?"

My gaze flickered throughout the room. "Where's Josh?" I asked, knowing full well he's pegging cougars.

"Um..." she glanced over customers' heads. "I don't know, actually. He was here a minute ago."

Alexa re-appeared behind the bar. Zigzagging between co-workers, she set the crane of steamed glasses on the counter and restocked shelves.

Natalie mumbled indistinctly.

I looked at her. "What?"

Her fair eyebrows met in the middle. "I asked if you wanted me to go and find him?"

"Yes." Tucking fifty-pound notes into my trouser pocket, I closed the till drawer and approached the woman determined to avoid me.

Alexa replenished the wall-mounted liquor. My chest pressed to her back as I reached over her shoulder to grab the Jameson bottle. I caught the slight hitch of her breath over the loud music. "You are avoiding me."

Loose strands of dark hair framed her face. "No."

I stood beside her to pour a drink. "Why did you run last night?"

She sprayed disinfectant on alcohol spillage. "It would be arrogant to assume I had an overnight invitation, Mr Warren."

"Touché." Her dismissiveness chagrined me. "You could have let me drive you home, though."

Tossing a tea towel on the counter, she busied her hands by cleaning.

My jaw clenched. "Presumably, I upset you."

Her eyes jerked up.

"Correct?" I probed, and her cheeks hollowed. "Elaborate."

Alexa huffed in exasperation. "I had a lovely night, Mr Warren."