CHAPTER FORTY-SEVEN

Alexa
I am a naughty woman.

Liam cautioned me about his birthday, strictly prohibiting undesirable celebrations and thoughtful presents. I didn't ask nor understand his reasoning and, although I had vowed to respect his wishes, I hunted down Brad Jones the following afternoon and demanded his secret service.

I had previously conversed with Grayson, asking for some time off work to organise a surprise party at Club 11. Gray complied with stipulations, a personal invite for him and employees. I agreed before speaking to Jace, the problematic co-worker.

Jace apologised for his indelicateness the night we dined together. In fact, the man quite literally floored me when explaining he might've been quick to jump to conclusions about Liam. Apparently, he'd overheard whispers that Liam Warren was the man responsible for his parent's death but never had solid proof or concrete evidence.

I mean, yes, I was somewhat sceptical of Jace's sudden nonchalance. How can a man so vehemently defame someone one night and then act calm and unbothered merely days later? In saying that, I was simply relieved that Jace had dropped the matter. He even asked if the open invite included himself.

After thanking Grayson for granting mandatory time off, I spent the rest of the afternoon shopping with my favourite Suit.

Optimistic and assuring, Brad claimed Liam would be thrilled with planned festivities once the initial shock subsided.

Since then, I have avoided Liam Warren as though my life depended on it. His incuriousness and lack of suspiciousness mollify me.

Liam continues to send text messages, asking about my days or sleep patterns or if I will return to work so that we can spend more time together.

I coolly played off Liam's innocuous questioning, feigned hecticness at the Coffee House and promised to consider his unrelenting job proposals.

Presently, I stand in the middle of Club 11's main function room, watching the scene unfold around me. Long gone are the half-naked dancers, vociferous conversationalists, clamorous clubland music and sporadic strobe lights. Alternatively, sophisticated and glamorous waitresses deliver champagne flutes to guests, pleasant-sounding music segued, and hors d'oeuvre and repartee for entremets ensued.

Under Brad's stern advice, I omitted the three-tiered cake, celebratory embellishments and ostentatious décor, even though I wanted to splash out and make birthday celebrations extra special.

Luckily, Nate escorted Liam to the Grape and Vine, beguiling him into believing the restaurant had a problem that needed immediate addressing. According to Brad, Liam hadn't suspected the lie nor discerned their dishonest behaviour; their boss' absence granted us time to commence the surprise gathering.

I slipped behind the long-stretched bar and settled the diamante clutch bag on the counter. "Hey, stranger," I chimed a little too excitedly. "How's life?"

"Alexa." Dressed to impress, Josh pulled me in for a tight hug, his broad-muscled chest smothering the line to my airways. "I missed you." His hand tapped my backside as he released me. "You look hot as fuck. The boss will go ballistic when he sees you."

I selected a red spaghetti strap dress with a drape neck, open back and side slit. Josh is correct. Liam will hit the roof when he sees me. It's too brazen and revealing, but once he's over the astonishment, I am sure he'll be thrilled by the attire choice—or he'll tear it off in anger and fuck me senseless. "Can I get a drink, please?"

Josh held a tall glass, adding two vodka shots topped with lemonade and citrus fruit. "For you." He winked cheekily. "Am I allowed to drink tonight? Brad never specified."