I wish I were older like Kathy. I wanted to go to the beach, drive around in her friend's rusty truck, and eat ice cream until I threw up. Well, she always throws up when she comes home from joy riding with friends. Too much candy floss, Kathy would slur into the toilet. Too much ice cream. Ignore me, Alexa. Go back to bed.

I missed out on all the fun.

Daddy's never home.

Kathy's never home.

Mummy's always in the kitchen.

I love spending time with Mummy, but she's busy cleaning or baking or resting, and I get so lonely. There are no kids around here for me to play with. Our neighbours are old and grouchy and barely hear a word I say.

Propped onto my side, I glanced down the hill and wondered what would happen if I rolled. I may fall into the rose bush. I may enter the forest. Alone. That's not fun. It might be enchanted, but without Kathy here to hold my hand, I don't trust the shadows.

It's not that steep.

I don't think about it.

I do it.

Pushing off my side, I rolled down the steep slope, the long grass tickling my face and nose, and, giggling like a crazy person, I toppled across fallen leaves mere inches away from the forbidden woodland area.

Okay, that was too much fun. I have to do it again.

"Alexa," Mummy called, and I slapped two hands over my face. "Where have you disappeared to? I hope you're not down that hill!"

"No," I yelled, pushing to my feet and dusting grass from my knees. "Hang on, Mummy."

How will I get up the hill without her seeing me?

Great. I am in so much trouble.

Mummy stood by the backdoor, her expression all-knowing, all-seeing and judgmental. "Sweetie," she said in a calm voice that I knew not to believe. "Where did you go?"

"I'm sorry, Mummy." My eyelashes fluttered. "I fell asleep." I pointed to the towering tree beside our house, the one with scary leafless branches that knocked against my bedroom window at night. "Over there!"

"Really?" Surprise painted her face. "I checked the tree first, sweetie." Her eyes narrowed in disbelief. "I didn't see you."

"That's because I am magic, Mummy." My hands went to my hips in protest. "You will only see me if I want you to see me."

"Well, alright. I will take your word for it this time. Now come inside." Mummy re-entered the house through the rickety door. "I made you lunch."

Inside the wood-panelled porch, I stepped out of the sandals and arranged them on the shoe rack beside Daddy's humongous boots, and then, stomping down the long-stretched hallway, I went to the pleasant-smelling kitchen to see freshly baked goods on the counter. Mummy sits on the chair. "Here you go, sweetie." Waiting for me to sit down, she slid a plated sandwich across the round table. "Enjoy."

Jumping on the seat opposite her, I picked up the sandwich, took a large bite and licked jam from my lips.

"Do you like the feather's, sweetie?"

Mummy makes lots of dream catchers and hangs them all around the house. She said they would protect me from bad dreams. "I like everything you make, Mummy." When she didn't respond, I peered up to find her watching me. Her eyes were frightfully wide. Her red-painted lips, tight and still. "Are you okay, Mummy?"