Chapter 8 ~ Apart of the team

Start from the beginning

On the couch sat Zavion, Brady and Tamelia, some leggy blonde with no shirt on, resting on her knee and then Blitz with two women either side of him - though they were not paying attention to anything he said - instead, looking over at Brady with lusting eyes and longing gazes but he ignored their every movement and sound, he simply had no interest in them what-so-ever.

"Hey, you two..." Brady called out, happily waving us over.

"It's the Healer," Tamelia watched me tensely, assessing my body language, although not hard to hide how uncomfortable I was.

"That's my new name?" I timidly inquired.

"We'll see, still have to prove your worth."

"Give it up you guys, you know without her Tristan wouldn't be alive," Arlo commented while taking a seat next to Zavion, who surprisingly stood and pulled at my arm to follow him.

We walked into the kitchen, the regard of my surroundings wasn't hidable. "What do you want to drink?"

"What you got?" He scrutinised me, waiting with descry curiosity for me to answer his original question. Wow, Arlo was right when he said about Zav's lack of words, "okay... um, lemon, lime and bitters?"

"With Vodka?"

"Okay, sure... thanks." He just nodded and started to mix. I was quite enthralled by his bartending skills, he seemed like a man of many talents, Zav though, kept his heart hidden behind an impenetrable brick wall.

Handing me my drink, to which I mumbled my 'thanks' - he rested, leaning against the bench, visually assessing me. I sat down on the breakfast bar stool and observed him back, with just as much fervour as he was me.

Finally, he cracks. "I heard what you said."

"And what was that?" I tilted my head on enquiry.

"About Tristan's actions the other night at dinner, in front of Captain's bedroom door." I swallowed nervously, I, in actual fact, could not remember what I had said, but I had to remain nonchalant and unnerved.

"And?"

"And, I appreciate what you said. Tristan sometimes forgets the weight that Arlo is burdened with, he acted off impulse to save your life, yet, he knew something we all did not..."

"Knew what exactly?" I bit a little harshly, petrified of where this was going.

"That you were his calm." I scoffed at him, inwardly thankful that's what he was on about.

"That's an awfully big assumption to make from a distance."

"And yet, I have not seen him happier," he shrugs at me. Pregnant silence rolls between us before I pluck my courage up and voice.

"What do you want from me Zavion?"

"To get to know you, to be friends."

"Is that all or does it come with certain... requirements?"

He's silent for a moment, a frown upon his face, both of us not breaking eye contact. "What have you had to go through that a simple friendship offer is mistaken for something insidious?" I looked away from him feeling foolish and insecure, struggling to gain a calm breath, I don't have friendships without conditions, people in my life were usually untrustworthy, but these were the heroes - my heroes. The emotion build-up betrays me and my eyes begin to well, I attempt to hide my shame. Zav pushes away from the bench and extends his hand for me to shake. "Hi, a pleasure to finally meet you, my name is Zavion, you can call me Zav," I smiled broadly, relieved by his warm action.