17 - Payback

On the way to the workshop Joel clenches his jaw, tapping his fingers as he's worried about Erick. He's got a gun pointed at him, people watching over his brothers, waiting for Juan's call to hurt them. He had no other choice than to follow Juan's order to find Erick.

"He's at my workshop? Guess he missed that life." Juan grins. "And you, pretty boy. You really love your bandmates, huh?" he asks Joel.

Swallowing the big lump in his throat, Joel nods. "Well there's something you need to know about your guitarist Erick. Remember your brother Emanuel?" Juan asks.

Joel furrows his brows. "What does he has to do with this? My brother is dead!" he answers. He then squints his eyes on Juan. "Wait, he was killed. Did you kill him?"

When Joel asks him that a hint of satisfaction shines Juan's face. They almost reached the workshop but Juan asked the driver to pull over. "This is where it gets interesting, kid." Juan turns to face Joel.

They can see Erick waiting for Joel a few feets away from where they parked. "See that guy there? Erick. Once my right hand man. He was the one that stabbed your brother." Juan whispers the last part.

Joel couldn't believe what he just heard. He looks at Erick, then he remembered what happened that night.

---

(flashback)

"I'm really sorry for what I've done, Joey." Emanuel pats Joel's back. "I know because of me, you was kidnapped by my rival. They beat you up, starve you. That's why you hate me. But there's something you need to know."

Joel wasn't paying attention to what Emanuel was saying. Erick told him to give his brother a chance, so he did it. Even though he doesn't want to. After what happened he just wish he could erase the man from his life.

Emanuel pulled down his shirt, enough to show Joel a bullet scar on his left shoulder. "I got this," then he pointed his finger to his right rib. "And a stab in here to save you." that caught Joel's interest.

Joel started to listen carefully to what his brother tried to say. "You was too weak to even open your eyes that time. You didn't notice I was the one that carried you out from that place. But I was injured myself too, that's why I couldn't stay with you until you wake up in the hospital. When I came back you had police officers with you. I didn't want to get caught for my other records, so I ran."

Joel almost break into tears listening to that. He thought that Emanuel didn't bother to make a deal to save him, so the kidnappers dumped his body on the street and someone found him.

"I didn't come home since then. I don't want to put my hermanitos in danger anymore. I tried to reach out for you, more than the others because of what happened. I want to make sure that you're okay." Emanuel continued.

"But I pushed you away." Joel finished it for him. He then pulls Emanuel for a hug. "I'm sorry, I didn't know." he apologized.

"It's okay. At least you know now. I just have to make things clear between us while we still have time." Emanuel tells him.

They were catching up on what they've been missing out from each other when he received a call from Erick. He didn't want to answer at first, but Emanuel said he can wait. "Thank you." Joel said before he walked away to answer the call.

He couldn't listen Erick's voice, so he tried calling for his name a few times. The call was then ended. Worried that maybe bad things were happening Joel tried to call him again. After second try Joel just let it go and get back to where he was sitting with Emanuel.

"I'm going to punch that guy's face later for wasting my time." Joel says as he walks approaching Emanuel.

Emanuel laid his head on the table, he didn't turn when Joel came back. "Bro, you didn't drink that much. There's no way a tough guy like you get drunk that easily." Joel laughs as he pushed Emanuel's shoulder.

That's when he noticed the blood on Emanuel's abdomen. "Emanuel!" he slapped his brother but he's not responding. "Somebody call 911!" Joel screamed out.

They announced that his brother was dead the moment the paramedics came. After sorting things out Joel remembered the person that convinced him to meet Emanuel, Erick.

He gave Erick a call and thanked him. If it wasn't for Erick he would never know the truth. He'd hate his own brother till the end if Erick didn't tell him to give Emanuel a chance. He thought he owed Erick one, when actually Erick was the one owing him a life. Emanuel's life.

(end of flashback)

---

"He was crying when I called him that night." Joel says, keeping his eyes on Erick from the car.

"Well, sometimes killing hurts our soul." Juan replies. "But he lived with me, see me everyday ever since. He didn't say a thing. He even talked to my mom when she calls." Joel adds. He sounds angry now.

Joel then felt something on his lap. A gun. He stares at the gun, then at Juan. "Or would you prefer a knife? Like the one he used on your brother?" Juan asks.

Joel then grabs the gun. "I don't want blood to literally smeared on my hand. This one is good enough." He holds the gun up.

Juan looks at him with a smile. "Good. Do whatever you have to do. Stand up for your actual brother." he encourages Joel.