Chapter Twenty-Four: Rendezvous

"All units be advised there is an intruder in the building. I repeat all units be advised there is an intruder in the building." The words ring in the air as the vault springs into action. I know they haven't found out that I am the intruder, but I know I don't have much time before my disguise is compromised. Reflecting on my past experience with HYDRA, there are about 50 heavily armed assets stationed around this base in units.

There are two units in the vault and each unit has five soldiers. So that's ten in this room, but there were only four guarding the door when I came in which means someone from that unit is alive and will be able to point me out. I walk calm and collected over to the vault doors leading to the front exit of the bank. Just as I pass the first door of three in total, I am stopped by who I assume is the commander of the unit stationed where I had killed the others, which isn't good at all.

"Halt soldier! Where do you think you're going?" He says stiffly. "Turn around soldier, give me an answer I won't ask again." I do as he says, staring at his button to avoid his gaze.

"I was going to regroup with my unit, I just wanted to see what The Winter Soldier looked like in real life." I lie keeping a straight face hoping he lets me go.

"So you abandoned your unit just to get a peek at the Asset huh? Do you think that's acceptable? Look at me when you are being addressed by a superior!" He yells loudly, catching the attention of the others in the room. My heart starts racing as all the eyes turn on him and I. Breathing out slowly, I allow my gaze to meet his and I watch as his eyes widen in shock as he recognizes me. He steps back quickly, resulting in the surrounding soldiers to arm themselves and take aim. I reach for my handgun, ready to take all of them on.

"It's alright men I've got this one." He yells over his shoulder before looking at me through narrowed eyes and smirking. "If I kill you, they might promote me to an officer rank."

"Do you honestly think you'd beat me in a fight? I mean, think about it. I've assassinated dictators, I've slaughtered entire armies, I've killed without question. So you think you really have what it takes to kill me? let alone fight me?... Alone? I'd think again if I were you. It only took me a second to take out your unit." I say eerily calm.

I watch him gulp and look to his hair line to see sweat beading there. I cock my head to the side. "They call me the Angel of Death for a reason, the heads of the departments where I was kept feared me. So I'll ask again, do you have the gall to fight me?" He remains silent. "I didn't think so. If you let me go, I won't kill everyone in this room. Their lives are in your hands."

"My mistake fellas, I thought she was someone else. Return to your unit, soldier. You better hope I don't report you for this." He says loudly so that everyone can hear him. I nod once and turn to leave again. "Continue searching for the intruder!" He orders as I step out of the first door and on until I'm outside.

The night air greets me like a cold kiss against my warm skin. It's already dark? How long has it been? How am I going to find my team? I go back to where I last saw them and use my heightened senses to recreate what happened in my head. I can smell the burnt tires and I see the trail they left on the road for a short while.

I follow that trail until it disappears. From there I weigh the probabilities of each common variable dictating the path they were taken on. After what feels like hours I pick up on a familiar scent. Patriotism. Joking... Old Spice and a considerable amount of sweat, that's got to be Steve. I laugh at my own mental joke but follow the scent nonetheless.

I'm led to a small park area and the scent fades as I come to a small bench on the outskirts of the park. I sit down and feel around for anything that will give me a clue. My hand brushes against a small piece of paper that's hidden under the bench seat. I open the folded paper and read the contents thoroughly. SHIELD DAM BASE. HURRY. Well I don't know where that is? Why?... What? I think to myself rather dumbfounded. How am I supposed to find that?

I leave the bench to find a private place to take off into the air. It should be easy to spot from the sky. Besides, how many dams could there possibly be to pick from in Washington DC?

As it turns out there are more than I previously assumed. I'm inspecting the fourth reservoir to no avail. I bite the inside of my cheek in frustration, and take off into the air heading towards the last place.

--------------

I land gently and push open the concrete door hiding the barred door beneath. I bang on the metal door and a small metal slit moves open revealing small brown eyes.

"Who are you?" They ask gruffly.

"Eden Nova. I'm part of Steve's team. A new member of sorts."

"Wait there." they say closing the slit. A few minutes pass before the door opens and I can enter.

Walking inside I'm met with doctors and staff bustling around urgently. Steve stands beside the opening with his arms crossed, but a small smile on his face.

"Eden, I'm glad you made it." Steve says, uncrossing his arms.

"I got your message." I reply with a grin inching across my lips.

"There's someone I want you to meet." He says, leading me down the hall into a small makeshift conference room. He then motions to a man sitting at the head of the table. The intimidating man wears an eye patch and seems to be recovering from an accident.

"I don't believe we've met. I'm Eden."

"Fury."

"Fury?! Didn't you die? I heard the report on my way out of SHIELD." I ask but he brushes me off with the wave of his hand.

"It was a ruse."

"Well sir, I believe you fooled us all."

"You said you're from SHIELD but I've never seen you before."

"Well, it's relative... um."

"We recruited her from HYDRA." Steve says, only half lying. Fury's eyebrows rise in surprise.

"She's on our side now? Well that's just great." Eye patch says looking me dead in the eye.

"Well it doesn't look to me like you have many allies at the moment so I'll take that as a 'thank you'."

"Looks like you just missed the debrief Steve will fill you in." Eye patch says directing his glance to Steve.

"Is there a chance I can get some sleep first? It's been a long day." I ask pleadingly. My body is tired and sore from the day's events and is starting to function less effectively.

"Power nap is all I can give you. We don't have much time left."

"I'll take what I can get. Fill me in on the way to my cot?"

"We don't have cots but you can sleep in a hospital bed, or on the floor. It's up to you. Follow me, I'll show you." He says walking out of the room. I glance at everyone else before following him down a hallway.

"We're going to infiltrate the Triskelion and use coded chips to override the Helicarriers. There are three. You take one, Sam and I take the others. We will be in constant communication so everyone will be in the loop on this one." He stops at a room and enters motioning to the bed. "Get some sleep I'll get you something to eat when you wake up. Oh, and I'm glad you got my message. The team is glad to have you back."

"Thank you, for everything." I say lying down on the bed trying to get comfortable.

"Don't mention it, I'll see you soon. Get some rest, you did good." He says as my eyes become heavy with drowsiness.