Chapter Twenty-One: Abduction

The cool crisp morning air is more biting than refreshing, as I make my way to Steve's car. The remnants of the dream still haunt me, but like almost every dream, I know I'll soon forget it. I reflect on my time spent with these three courageous people that I'll soon be joining in the car. They fight a fight many would abandon, and that in itself is courage. I feel rather close with them considering I shared a brutal experience with them and came out strong enough to fight another day. They're rather gentle with me, and I suppose they trust me. I almost want to call them friends but, I wouldn't know what it is to have a friend.

"Eden?" Steve says gently, pulling me from my thoughts. "Are you coming? You seem a little distracted."

"Oh. Right." I say, not realizing that I had stopped walking. I promptly open the car door and slide into the back seat, shutting the door back and buckling up. Sam sits next to me in the back of the car, looking a little more tired than I feel. Steve has already started the car and Natasha is in the passenger side as per usual. I guess they really were just waiting for me.

"It's going to be a long ride so feel free to rest up on the way there." Steve says as he backs out and onto the road. His driving is much more relaxed than Natasha's speedy getaway. The guys really don't talk much, there wasn't much talking on the way to the safe house and even now, it's more on the quiet end of things.

"So... What's the plan?" I ask, breaking the silence.

"Well, Sam is going to give him a call when I get into position. We will take him to the roof where Natasha will... Persuade him to help us." Steve answers, briefly glancing at me in the rear view mirror.

"What about me? I ask, noticing that my role wasn't mentioned.

"Well I was thinking that you could watch our backs in case something goes wrong and we get into a sticky situation. There's a coffee shop across the street from where we're going. It has outside seating which will give you an ideal vantage point. Not to mention you'll be close to the car in case we need to make a swift getaway." I can feel Sam glancing at me as the awkward tension grows.

"So, I'm the lookout. Are you sure I can't do anything else to help?"

"I think it's best if Jasper doesn't see you. Not that you aren't capable of helping or anything."

"Why is it pertinent that he not see me? HYDRA is well aware at this point that I am alive."

"It's just that, where you are... HE tends to show up. So keeping you away from Jasper might...be more effective."

"I see. You're afraid of the Winter Soldier."

"I just don't want to lose our only lead before we can get information from him."

"Ah, I understand now. I agree. I'll watch your backs." Just like that, the awkward tension dissipates. I understand his reasoning, and If I were in his shoes, I'd do the same thing. "So uh, do I get a weapon?"

"What did you do with my gun?" Nastasha asks, joining in on the conversation.

"I don't really know if you remember but I kind of had a burning car on top of me." I say in a soft but sarcastic way. Hoping she takes me tone is the joking way that I meant it.

"Oh yeah, I do vaguely remember that happening." Her tone is as playful as mine was and I can tell she took my tone the way it was meant to be taken.

"Was the fall graceful at least?" I continue, making light of my experience.

"It was like a swan dive right into the gravel, followed by the car also swan diving after you. Very graceful, I'd give it a 10."

"Such a high mark, I'm proud." I chuckle at the banter we have.

"The audience was on the edge of their seats." Sam adds, alluding to the pile up that happened after. We continue to joke around for a little while before falling back into a comfortable silence. After a few hours we enter the city, and head to where our target is.

"Here take this, get a coffee or something to eat." Sam says putting some money in the pocket of my jacket.

"Thank you Sam." I say with a smile on my face.

"This is your stop Eden." Steve says, pulling over for me to get out. I step onto the sidewalk, closing the car door behind me. I watch as Steve drives a head a little bit before parking in a lot. I walk into the coffee shop and wait in the line. I know they're getting into position and that it wouldn't be long until Jasper would be in our hands. I order a plain black cup of coffee and a blueberry scone and find a table outside where I can see Sitwell talking to another man in an expensive suit. On the wiser side of life, but not too old as to where they might not work together.

I eat my scone, and sip on my coffee waiting for the men to finish their conversation. After approximately 15 minutes the two men depart and Jasper receives a call. He looks panicked and quickly walks toward where I assume Natasha and Steve are waiting. I make my way to the car and get in. I know it won't be long until Sitwell is convinced to help our endeavor. I wonder what tactics she's using to make him more willing to bend his moral rules for us. It sure would be an interesting sight to see. Sam reaches the car first, getting into the driver's seat. Steve, Natasha follow after him, with Jasper in tow. Natasha shoves Jasper in the car and shuts the door.

Natasha sits next to me sandwiching me in the middle. As soon as Steve closes his door Sam takes off down the road, getting into the traffic afflicted highway.

"Who's she?" He asks, looking confused for a moment before coming to recognize me. "HYDRA doesn't like leaks." Jasper spats.

"Then why don't you try sticking a cork in it." Sam says looking into his rear view mirror.

"You're one to talk about leaks Mr. Sitwell." I say casting him a sideways glance.

"Insight is launching in 16 hours we're cutting it kind of close don't you think?" Natasha says leaning up to the middle console. Insight? So that's what Piece was planning.

"I know we'll use him to bypass the DNA scans and access the helicarriers directly." Steve says watching the road.

"What?! That is a terrible, terrible idea!" Jasper says frantically. Suddenly a hand burst through the glass and grabbed jasper only to toss him out into oncoming traffic. The sound of heavy footsteps on the roof filled my ears along with the sound of my heartbeat. Natasha climbs to the passenger seat and straddles Steve before bullets rain from the roof and Steve pulls the emergency brake bringing the car to a screeching halt and sends the mercenary off the car. The second I see his body I know who it is and how crucial the next moments are. Life and death hand in a balance and one wrong move could kill us all.