Chapter two

"MULTIPLE SOURCES CONFIRM THAT STEVE ROGERS, AKA CAPTAIN AMERICA WAS SPOTTED AT THE SCENE. SOURCES STATE AVENGERS WERE TRACKING WANTED FUGITIVE BROCK RUMLOW TO LAGOS." The news reporter said after i asked Bucky to turn up the volume, i widened my eyes at the scene on the tv, a building on fire and more than one picture of Steve looking distressed, i immediately picked up the phone and dialed his number but there was no answer so i put the phone down.

"What the hell! Did Rumlow survive in Washington? I thought he was dead!" I stood up, angered at the news as Bucky only sat in one of the kitchen chairs, listening to the tv.

"REPORTS OF SAM WILSON, WANDA MAXIMOFF AND FORMER S.H.I.E.L.D OPERATIVE NATASHA ROMANOFF IN LAGOS ARE CONFIRMED."

I let out a huge breath. "Holy fuck."

"BROCK RUMLOW RUMORED TO BE BEHIND THE ATTACK AT THE MILITARY COMPOUND. EXTENT OF DAMAGE UNKNOWN AT THIS TIME." The screen goes black and i turn to the side seeing Bucky on his feet, putting the remote control down on the table and grabbing his dark notebook he uses to remember, i look over his shoulder as he turns multiple pages, seeing drawings of me, Steve and his family that he told me all about, he stops at a blank page and writes down Brock Rumlow.

"You know the news aren't up to date, that must have been a little more than a week ago." I took a step back as his words sunk in and sat down, suddenly feeling tired.

"They haven't called me, not Steve, not Nat, not even Sam!" Just as i uttered the sentence my phone started going off, the annoying ringing echoing in our empty apartment, Bucky giving me a look as if i used my powers.

"I can't believe you!" I yelled as i answered the phone knowing exactly who it was.

"I need to talk to you." Steve sounded torn, like he hadn't slept in days.

"Just because i believe this is important i won't yell at you but seriously, you always nag me for not picking up when i'm busy but it's impossible you have been busy for a week straight."

"Sorry about that, but i could really use some friendly advice, Peggy passed away, her funeral is today, and i doubt you missed the news report about Lagos." I put the phone on speaker mode and set it on the table thinking this was something Bucky might want to hear.

"Jesus, if i knew i would have visited you today, for support, but yeah i saw the whole Lagos thing." I sighed, rubbing my eyes as Bucky sat down opposite of me.

"The government want us to sign an accord, if we do we pretty much don't have any free will, but if we don't, and i quote, we are retired. The signing is in Vienna tomorrow morning. And i wouldn't let you come here, nobody knows about you, i plan to keep it that way." I started biting on my nails, thinking about what he just explained.

"I already know your answer Steve, and i know you know it to." There was a long pause on the line before he sighed. "I'm not signing it."

"Attaboy." I praised and mentally patted his head for choosing the exact same choice i would have.

"The funeral is starting now, i gotta go."

"Good luck, i'm here for you."

"I know." He then hung up making the line go dead, but i simply left the phone where it was, not bothering to move.

"That was the first phone call so far that he didn't mention you." I looked up at Bucky.

"Is that a good sign or a bad sign?" He asked and i frowned, getting a headache from all of this thinking.

"Depends, either he stopped looking, or he might know where you are."

"We will have to see, we are leaving this place anyways, do you want to watch when they sign the accords tomorrow? We can get a new tv with live channels." I smiled at his request and nodded, my heart was racing in fear of being found.

______________

"A BOMD HIDDEN IN A NEWS VAN RIPS THROUGH THE U.N. BUILDING IN VIENNE, MORE THAN 70 PEOPLE HAVE BEEN INJURED, AT LEAST 12 ARE DEAD, INCLUDING WAKANDA'S KING T'CHAKA, OFFICIALS HAVE RELEASED A VIDEO OF THE SUSPECT THEY IDENTIFIED AS JAMES BUCHANAN BARNES, THE WINTER SOLDIER, THE INFAMOUS HYDRA AGENT LINKED TO NUMEROUS ACTS OF TERRORISM AND POLITICAL ASSASSINATIONS."

"It wasn't me." My gaze is stuck on our new tv as i sink in the news, fear overtaking my heart and mind, feeling like i can't move.

"I know it wasn't you!" I stand up, suddenly panicked about the whole situation, my breathing starting to become uneven "But i'm so scared of losing you again that every time something happens i...." Suddenly my lungs felt like they were becoming smaller. "i feel like i can't breathe! What if they find you!?"

His hands close around my shoulders as he looks me dead in the eye."Breathe Alex, breathe." I start to calm down but paranoia gets the best of me as i step out of his hold, grabbing random things and throwing them into bags.

"We have to leave, now." I say as i walk towards the backpack laying underneath a couple of floor boards containing valuable things.

"No, wait, we need to clear our minds, we can leave, but let's go out first." I stop and turn around too face him, thinking he lost his mind.

"We will only be out for a bit, i want to buy some things and we will not be recognized."

"What the hell is your problem Bucky!? You are wanted by everyone in the world why do you want to go outside?" i throw the bags in my hands on the mattress and start to walk back and forth in the room.

"You need to calm down, we will leave as soon as we come back." I slow down as i think about it, although finding the idea stupid and risky, also thinking i need to chill the fuck down and think about what we are really going to do.

"Fine, but you can only buy three things and we can't walk in front of any cameras, security or not." I say as i walk out the door to the long staircases going up and down the building, i hear him locking the door and walking after me but not as quickly until he grabs my hand, pulling me back until i'm walking beside him.

His face no longer shows emotion as we walk down and i breath out, feeling stupid.

"I'm sorry, are you okay?" he shakes his head no but keeps quiet as i put my head on his shoulder, finally walking out of the building on to the street, Bucky putting on his baseball cap making me scoff.

"Like that is going to hide your face." he ignores me but shakes his head at my snarky comment, a weird laughing noise escaping his lips.

We pass by countless of sale booths but don't buy anything until Bucky stops in front of a bunch of plums.

"Wow you really took the whole plum thing to heart." I laugh and he scoffs, gently pushing my shoulder.

"You said they were good for memory, are they?" I nod and smile watching him walk up to the lady selling them and starting to speak Romanian, having no idea what they are saying i just watch, admiring his voice as he speaks another language.

Suddenly i get a bad feeling and frown, looking around but seeing nothing. "Buck?" I whisper into his ear when he comes to stand beside me.

"I'm going back to the apartment, don't follow me yet, wait for ten minutes or so, i have a bad feeling." I turn to walk away but he grabs my arm, slightly yanking me back.

"If you have a bad feeling what makes you think i'm going to leave you alone." He looks angry and worried but i just quickly peck his lips."Because, if they are looking for you then they don't know me, i'll check out the apartment, if it's clear i'll wait for you, if i hear something or someone is there, i'll come back immediately." I instantly leave without hearing his answer, jogging over the street towards our apartment building.