I banged on the front door and windows to wake up all inside. Several minutes later, the faint light of an oil lamp was seen in the window of the master bedroom. The light moved and then reappear in the doorway, illuminating my Ma in her nightgown.

 The light moved and then reappear in the doorway, illuminating my Ma in her nightgown

"What in heaven?" she groaned with a mixture of grogginess and annoyance.
Rubbing her eyes, she noticed that it was me. She rushed over and hugged me before slapping across the side of my head.
"Perseus Jackson!" she shouted, "What do you think you're doing showing up like a thief in night and scaring us half to death."
"I was in a hurry to see you, Ma," I explained.
She kissed my forehead and stroked my cheek.
"I'm glad you made it home safely, boy. What are you waiting for, come inside."

I spent the night sleeping on the sofa in the living room and woke up to blue pancakes for breakfast. After eating, I decided to take a walk down to Half-Blood Cove.
The Parthenon, the Chase family's palatial summer home, looked down imperiously from the hill above the beach. A girl was also out for a walk that morning. She was dressed in a red, white, and blue check print blouse and shorts.

 She was dressed in a red, white, and blue check print blouse and shorts

Her blond hair was worn loose and she was barefoot.
"Morning, Wise Girl," I called over to her, "Miss me?"
"No, of course not," Annabeth replied, "I only counted every minute you were gone."
"And how long was I gone?"
"One week, three days, six hours, and about twelve minutes," she took my hand and lead me over to the surf, "Come, tell me all about Delphi."
I told her about the Underwoods and their farm, Tyson and Ella, and the barn party. She told me about her first ball and the archery competition she attended with her friend Thalia.
"Thalia and a girl named Zoë Nightshade tied for first place," she said, "The two of them have been rivals for years and as you can imagine, they were not too happy about having to share the prize. Thalia kept saying: If I didn't beat Nightshade, I might as well have lost."
She took my hand in her two smaller ones.
"I heard about your friend Jason; I'm sorry."
"I'm worried about him," I replied, "He's running on borrowed time."
"How long are you going to be here in Montauk?"
"About a week, then I'm going to Quebec."
"What's in Quebec?"
"You, you're coming with me."
"Really, I've always wanted to see Quebec. I'll have to tell a few white lies to my parents; they won't approve of us traveling alone together."
"I have a present for you, Wise Girl. Hold out your wrist," I reached into my pocket for the sailor's knot bracelet I had made for her and tied it around her wrist, "I made this while I was away."
"I love it! Now let me show you what I've been doing while you were away."