7. Raindrops on roses

A bang thwarted their to-be moment, just as Gilbert was to ultimately press his flawless lips, which resembled a delicate rose petal, mauve pink and passionate; to Anne's. They had clumsily crashed into each others heads due to the raven black sky that had followed the flame-like sunset. A sense of familiarity fell upon them, Anne stumbled slightly as a reaction to her collision with Gilbert, she fell agains Gilbert, who chuckled, playfully wrapping his lightly muscled arms around Anne's shoulders.
"Well this got awkward fast." His laughs had calmed and Anne looked up at him in awe of his gentle, kind nature.
"Maybe one day it'll all work in your favour. But for now, I don't think romance is a fan of you." Anne giggled before ending the night with "May we have more adventures in the near future. Goodnight Gilbert!" Anne departed from him at the fence of green gables. She broke out into a run, racing the wind to the front door.
Gilbert's eyes followed her until she entered her home. I hope we do. Gilbert replied mentally to Anne's previous statement.
A sudden downpour had escaped the gravel coloured clouds above, the rain teased Gilbert as he set off for home, resulting in him becoming hastily drenched.
The moonlight illuminated the rain droplets appearing delicately on his curls, eyelashes, and lightly freckled apex of his nose, similar to diamonds in the way that they glimmered in the light. Gilbert considered rain to be a pulchritude of nature, he didn't deplore when his feet were sloshing in his soaking shoes. He wondered if Anne found rain fascinating as he did.
——— ✿
Anne's finger traced the raindrops as they cascade down the window pane, her hair, released from the hold of her braids, waving like lava spewing out of a volcano, falling in her eyes as she leaned forwards.
——— ✿
At the top of the winding, lengthy path that lead to green gables. Gilbert thought it wise to retire to green gables until the rain concluded.
Looking down at the house and farm, a few rooms still candlelit.
Few, he thought, they're still awake. Gilbert teared through the rain, down the path, reaching the door to green gables. He hesitantly tapped rapped his knuckles on the door.
Marilla swung open the door, muttering something along the lines of, "who could this me at this time?",
"Gilbert? Whatever brings you here at this hour?" Concern struck Marilla's face.
"I was walking Anne home. And just as I came to the end of the path, the rain come out of nowhere. I thought it best to wait out the rain here. If it's okay with you." Gilbert always spoke pleasantly, it seemed cruel to turn him out in these conditions.
"Come on in. Take a seat, and hand me that sodden coat and I'll hang it when the rain comes to a stop." Marilla placed his dripping jacket over a chair for the time being.
"Would you care for a hot chocolate? You're shivering." Marilla offered him a hot beverage,
"Yes please." He sat, silently, attempting to reduce his shivers as to not concern Marilla.
"I'll fetch Anne. You can do with company while you wait" Marilla marched up the staircase.
Marilla did not specify to Anne who had arrived there at green gables, so Anne bolted down, her hair free and fiery as ever, she was wearing her housecoat over her trailing nightgown, assuming it was one of her girlfriends.
"Gilbert!" Anne's eyes widened as she realised what a state she must appear to be in.
"Why hello again, Anne." He smiled, cheerfully in her presence, he patted the chair beside him and she came and sat, trying her best to flatten her hair. Which, to Gilbert appeared to be perfect as it was. Marilla returned with a fleecy, knitted blanket to wrap around Gilbert. Gilbert covered his shoulders and chest with it gratefully, along with his hot chocolate. Anne also received one, "I trust I can leave you two alone without the house blowing up for a moment?" Marilla left the room to check up on Matthew and Jerry in the barn.
"I like your hair, free and wild as it is now. Not that I don't also find your braids attractive." The colour returned to Gilbert's face as he complimented Anne's hair. Anne smiled and sipped her drink.
"I find your company soothing somehow." Anne stated rather randomly. It was Gilbert's turn to smile, lightly blushing, and sip his drink.
"C'mon. I'll show you the guest room." Anne gripped his wrist and dragged him up the stairs.
Anne and Gilbert entered the guest room, it was rather minimalistically decorated, but Gilbert appreciated their hospitality and did not expect to even be given this.
"I'm afraid we have no spare clothing, but perhaps a robe may be found going unused." Anne fluffed the pillows and remade the bed, delivering comfort to her guest.
"One moment." Anne had flew out of the room, into her own and slid the window open, she reached out, in the heavy rainfall, for a branch of her blossom tree and returned to Gilbert's room, placing it in a plain, white vase.
Gilbert respected Anne's eye for beauty and found it a great relief to know Anne was trying her hardest to make him feel at home. Gilbert slipped into a robe, covering his slightly damp clothes, that hung behind the door for whenever guests stayed.

"Goodnight. Gil." Anne smiled, lovingly at him. For perhaps the first time. And Gilbert smiled in return, gazing adoringly at Anne.
"Night, Anne."
Anne closed the door and put herself to bed, staring at the wall that hid Gilbert from her view.

A/N
I'm going up in reads fast. I thought this chapter was really cute and I hope you like it as much as I liked writing it! :)
I wonder what will happen in the morning.