5- First meeting with my father

I was at the table with Luke. There was a delicious looking dish in front of us, but neither I or him were enjoying it. Aunt Iris was not here. After what happened this morning, and after she dropped that bomb about my 'never mentioned father', she quickly flew away to somewhere, saying she will be back by night.

I was so shocked that I couldn't even stop her or ask for a explanation, I just stood there with confused eyes while watching her leave. I mean, I was suddenly able to do something I thought was impossible and informations about a father appeared out of nowhere?! Kind of a lot to digest. 

My mind was boiling with numerous questions, but it wasn't a smart move to suffer because of them, not when my only source of answers was not home. Besides, there was one more thing I should worry about.

I looked at Luke. He seemed really distressed yesterday, after discovering about his magic. And today, although I knew he was trying to hide it, he didn't look any better. I wonder why. After all, at least in my conception, any kid who found out they could do some supernatural stuff would be delightful, surprised, maybe a little bit scared, but for sure excited. And not... disgusted. And that was the impression I got from Luke last night.

And something kept telling me that his reaction is related to his past. The truth is, the first day Luke talked, he told us his name. But it was it. After that, he started speaking with us normally, turning into the talkative boy of today, but no other information about him was said. His family, his situation before arriving in the woods. None of it.

After some time since Luke came to live with us, aunt Iris decided to ask it. She was feeling kind of guilty for not finding Luke's relatives, and she also thought that they already have some intimacy, so that's why she did it.

She asked "Luke, would you mind telling us about your family?", the boy in question was playing with the soil/gardening, and he didn't even lift his head to answer "What are you talking about? You guys are my family." With a joyful tone, like it was obvious. "No," my aunt said, but she was secretly very happy, "I mean... Your family before us." She forced herself to ask. At this point, Luke raised his eyes, looking at aunt Iris. And in his face... there was pure confusion. Like he really didn't understand auntie's question. He titled his head, "Hm? You've always been my family," he showed her a i'm-stealing-your-heart-with-my-cuteness smile, "And you'll always be, right?"

It was such a bright and innocent smile that aunt Iris had to give up. Later, I thought to myself if Luke was suffering some kind of memory loss. After all, he got truly confused with that question. But maybe he just chose not remembering, burying his memories into his subconscious. The only problem is that, sometimes, those buried memories could resurfaced. All it takes is a trigger, a metaphorical gunpowder to ignite everything into... fire.

-Luke... - I started - How are you feeling? About... yesterday?

I could see that he wasn't really eating, he just kept moving the food on his plate with the cutlery.

-Oh, I'm fine, why? - with an obvious fake smile, he continued. - Before auntie left, she told me that she would help with my magic training when she come back. It seems that even though I've awaken my magic, I can not actually use magic if I don't exercise something called "blessed veins", which is some kind of magic vein, I guess. Speaking about her, she seemed really disturbed this morning, do you know why? She has also never left home before, so isn't this really more important than magic? I mean, who cares about magic, right?

He was not fine.

First, he kept talking without even breathing, like he was nervous, like he was trying to hide something. Most likely his real feelings. Second, he repeated way too many times the word 'magic', so I could see where the major problem lays. And at the end, by mentioning auntie, it was a clear attempt of changing the subject. Of course he could have found it strange, after all, since he came to live with us, aunt Iris has indeed never left home, but I know the true reason is not his curiosity.