9

»He belongs to me, not you«

School had just ended and I had stopped my short journey of walking out of the school in order to tie my shoe laces, when Molly had appeared.
'Hey Leo', she smiled, leaning herself up against the nearest wall casually.
'Hi Molly', I responded, quickly finishing my current task at hand and standing up to start waking out of the building with her.

She gently grabbed my hand, interlocking our fingers together. This action wasn't unusual as we did quite commonly hold hands whilst walking together. We had actually done most things that couples do, despite not actually being a couple. The only thing that I can think of that we hadn't yet done (apart from sex) was kiss. But I may have spoken too soon.

All of a sudden, she dragged me around the corner to a place that we often went when it was just the two of us. Her eyes met mine.

She looked nervous, contrasting to her previous casual and relaxed state as if she had been planning to do or tell me something for a while. Her eyes began to dart around in different directions and I could hear the volume of her very quick and rushed breathing she did increase. Finally, her eyes made her way back to mine as I watched her green orbs begin to shut.

She was leaning towards me, closer and closer until her lips touched mine. My heart sank.

They were soft, and tasted of the strawberry lip balm that she always wore. The kiss was gentle and delicate, as if she didn't want to hurt me. However, it all just felt so wrong. It made me feel extremely uncomfortable and I didn't get any enjoyment or the sensation of falling in love out of it.

What on Earth was I supposed to do? I didn't want to pull away, as that would be rude. And I also didn't want to hurt her by not kissing back. She was my best friend and someone who I deeply cared about, after all. So, very hesitantly, I started to kiss her back, our lips moving in sync with one another.

I felt her smile softly against my lips, glad that I had actually decided to return the affection after a while of her waiting. I mentally cringed before trying to imagine that it was someone else kissing me and not my best friend. Of course, the first person who came to mind was Charlie, but it didn't seem to work. At all.

I didn't know how long this was going to last, but it had already felt as if it had dragged on forever. I just wanted it to end as soon as possible,

Finally, after about only twenty seconds, but what felt like an eternity in hell, she pulled away and smiled, looking down towards the floor with a shade of red dusted over her cheeks.

Before she could notice my tired frown, I quickly replaced it back with a smile, hoping that it wasn't so obviously fake. After a few seconds of us awkwardly standing there, she wrapped her arms around me, pulling me into an embrace.

I sighed in relief. Our hugs felt so much better than the kiss we had just shared. My face faltered back into a frown- since she couldn't see my facial expression at this current moment in time- as I held her in my arms.

She was the first to pull away as she said her goodbyes and started to walk out of the school.

Once she had turned out of the corner we were stood in and was completely out of sight, I sunk to my knees, burying my face in my hands. I didn't know how to react to this whole situation. It was clear that I was stuck in it and from what I could tell there was no escape.

I stayed where I was for a few minutes, stressing out about life, until I heard a loud shriek from the other end of the hallway. I jumped to my feet as quick as I could and rushed down the corridor, knowing that the shriek belonged to Molly. I stopped when I saw what was happening, and cowered away quickly around the corner so that I wasn't seen.

Charlie had Molly pushed up against the wall, holding her in the air slightly. I could see the tears beginning to form in her eyes.

Molly, of course, knew who Charlie was since pretty much everyone in the school did. But she also knew about everything that he's done to me over the past year. Even if the issue had stopped for now, she had still managed to give me some great advice about it all, saying that part of the reason that she moved over here and moved schools was because she was in a similar situation.

I desperately wanted to save her from whatever Charlie was about to do, but my initial fear had came back, stopping me. I stood frozen whilst my best friend was about to get seriously hurt by my bully, also known as the boy who I had accidentally fallen so in love with.

However, instead of hurting her like what I had expected him to do, he just spoke to her aggressively, lifting some of the weight off of my shoulders for the time being, until he spoke two sentences that practically made my heart stop and my whole life spin around.

'I swear to God, if you take what's mine, you'll never see daylight again. He belongs to me, not you', Charlie sneered.

I started to shake in confusion and fear. What did he mean by that? Surely he didn't mean it in the way that I thought he did, right?

I could hear him dropping Molly, with her fortunately landing on her feet and him making his way away from her. I knew that I should've began to run away but my feet were locked to the ground.

It wasn't long until Charlie saw me, and his aggressive facial expression dropped. 'Leo?' He spoke distantly, his blue orbs locked on my brown.

Suddenly, his expression transformed back into one of anger as he began to run towards me. Luckily, at this point, I felt as if I could move again and sprinted down the corridor, running far far away.

...