The Hag

Peter's vision went white as he suddenly felt like he had been slapped in the face. He flinched and tried to lift his hand to feel what was in front of him, but he found his arms pinned to his sides by an incredible force. Then he felt himself suffocating. He opened his mouth to gasp for air, but something flooded in and he found himself choking.

And then just when he thought he would pass out, he was fine. He could breathe again and his vision was restored. He blinked and found himself hovering a few inches above water. He looked around and saw that he was in the middle of the ocean, no land in sight. He turned and saw the Dea standing beside him, her entire body glowing blue.

"What was that?" Peter asked.

The Dea turned to Peter, and he saw that her eyes were engulfed in blue light as well. She scowled. "The Hag wanted to kill you. She starts off every battle by killing the leaders."

"But - "

"I'm glad you remember what I'm capable of," A voice echoed around them, cutting Peter off. It sounded like nails on a chalkboard and it made Peter wince. Cackles that sounded like the wheezing into an exhaust pipe followed, causing Peter to grit his teeth. He looked at the Dea, who had a murderous look on her face. It made a shiver run down Peter's spine.

The wind started to blow lightly, but it wasn't long before it turned to a whistle, and a whistle to a howl. The waves began to pick up and the Dea lifted the two of them higher so that the water wouldn't hit them. Peter had no idea if the weather was the Dea's doing or the Hag's.

"I'm glad I remembered as well," The Dea said. Peter was surprised to hear that her voice was the opposite of what she looked like. "It was incredibly easy to forget." It sounded like she was making casual conversation. It made Peter uneasy.

At the Dea's words, the Hag growled. "I see that you've maintained your sense of humor throughout the years."

"I see you haven't," The Dea said. Now the hostility in her voice was obvious, and while it should have made Peter feel better, every nerve in his body was screaming for him to get away from her. "How about you show yourself and we can get this over with? I'm getting bored."

The Hag cackled again. "Anxious, aren't you? Very well,"

Peter looked forward as he caught movement in the corner of his eye. Ships began to appear as if a cloth was slowly falling away. Five ships were revealed, all of them massive, with at least fifty men on board each of them. They were different shapes and sizes, but most importantly, all of them were armed. Some had pistols, others had bows and arrows, and they all glared silently at Peter and the Dea.

The ships were all lined up neatly. The Dea lifted the two of them so that they were the height of at least the deck of the ships. Peter saw that the ship in the middle, directly opposite from where he and the Dea were standing had a man standing near the front of the ship.

The figure's face was too small for Peter to make out, but as the ships began to sail closer, rocking violently as water crashed against the sides, Peter's eyes widened.

Jason Reacher grinned at the Dea, who had an unimpressed look on her face. He bowed, making a show of it. "Lady, I must say, I expected you to see right through me. Evidently, the Hag's magic is stronger than yours."

"A pathetic human cannot speak the language of magic to a deity," The Dea fired back with a smirk on her face. "It's a waste of breath even trying to do so."

Reacher's expression changed. He snarled at the Dea. "We'll see how pathetic I am when your soul belongs to me." Then he saw Peter's shocked expression. He sneered. "Hello Peter!" He shouted over the howling of the wind and the crashing of the waves. "I bet you didn't see that coming!"