The Girl

Author's note: The video at the top is the song that she sings. It's either soothing or creepy in my opinion.

"Upon one summer's morning, I carefully did stray down by the wales of Whapping, where I met a sailor gay..."

"You're not a mermaid, not with that voice; you're not a siren, seeing as I didn't dive headfirst into the water, but you're not human either. I can sense that you're not mortal. So, what are you?"

The girl in the water's voice echoed around the waterfall, albeit she had stopped singing. The figure in the middle of the pool turned around to meet a pair of emerald eyes with her own ocean blue ones. She smiled knowingly. It didn't sit well with Peter, who had taken his place beside the lagoon, seated on a rock near the blue water.

The girl slowly sank into the water and there were a few ripples before she resurfaced, now as near to Peter as she could be without getting out of the water.

"I'm not telling my life-story to a boy I just met, regardless of how handsome he appears to be." Her voice was enchanting. She spoke slowly and clearly. Not as if she was stupid, but rather she enjoyed keeping her audience waiting.

At her words, Peter smiled smugly. "Handsome? That's not the first word others use to describe me. I've never seen you around Neverland's waters."

The girl hummed. "Oh, I know what others use to describe you. Demon. Monster. Killer." With every word, she leaned closer to him.

"Is that what they think of me?" Peter breathed. She was so close he could smell her. She smelled like sea salt.

"The mermaids despise you," She replied, still smiling strangely. "They said that if you ever landed a foot into the sea, they'd rip you to shreds without a second thought. The sirens won't come near Neverland. They said you killed one of their sisters and left her body floating around to keep them at bay. They all told me to stay away."

"That's true, I did kill Seraphina. I believe it's one of my greatest feats." Peter said, with an air of arrogance. He eyed her carefully to see whether she was alarmed by his lack of empathy. She wasn't. She kept smiling. Now Peter was definitely intrigued. "So why aren't you swimming away?" Peter asked, leaning closer. "Why aren't you heeding their warnings?"

"They warned me against Pan, the demon in the form of a boy." The girl said, her smile widening now, knowing that she had gotten Peter's full attention. "But they never said anything about Peter."

Peter blinked, but he kept his smile, even though it had faltered for less than a second. "I don't follow."

"They told me all about Pan. The boy who runs Neverland, who took control over everything, who was ruthless enough to kill anyone who went against him, who even killed one of his Lost Boys." The girl continued, her smile still fully on display. "But they neglected to tell me about Peter, whose emotions were the real reason why he had killed one of his own."

Peter stiffened up and his smile disappeared immediately. The girl leaned closer to him until her mouth was right next to his ear.

"Poor Tom Weatherly," She whispered, as quiet as the sound of water rushing through weeds at the bottom of the ocean. "It wasn't his fault that Wendy Darling fell for him instead of you."

Suddenly, the girl gasped as the breath was knocked out of her. Peter's fist was tightly wrapped around her neck and his knuckles were white with fury. His eyes were blazing, resembling an emerald fire.

"How did you know that?" Peter hissed. "Who told you?"

The girl laughed, although she ended up coughing. Yet she still didn't look the slightest bit perturbed. She smiled again, now her expression annoyingly smug. "Come now, Peter, you can't control who someone else falls in love with. Maybe Tom was just a little more good-looking, or he treated her well, or it could have been that Wendy liked how her hands felt in his more than she did yours, or..."