The Hunt

"STOP IT!" Reacher's nasally voice shrieked, causing a few birds in the trees overhead to squawk and fly away. It also made the Lost Boys, who were surrounding Reacher like a swarm of bees, all cackle, and snicker. The party stopped as Reacher, who had been leading them, snarled at Felix.

"Give it back!" Felix simply smirked as he twirled a golden pocketwatch between his fingers.

"Give it back!" Felix mocked as he tossed the watch to Nick Dunes, who was walking beside him.

Nick snickered as Reacher tried to snatch his watch back as it made its way towards the boy. Unfortunately, the man wasn't fast enough and he stumbled forward with the momentum of his lunge. Soon, the boys were playing monkey in the middle with Reacher's watch, Reacher being the monkey.

"Call off these children," Reacher demanded, turning to glare at Peter while the Lost Boys laughed and snorted.

"Oh no," Dillan Craw – a fifteen-year-old with an affinity for blowing up things - said loudly, his eyes sparkling with mischief.

"Bad move," Tyler Craw, Dillan's twin, said in a sing-song voice, making the Lost Boys snicker as Reacher did his best to ignore them.

Peter narrowed his eyes. He stepped closer to Reacher. Even though he was shorter than him by half a head, it felt like it was the other way around. "Attempt to order me around again," Peter growled, "And regardless of how good a tracker you appear to be, I'll rip your spine out and feed it to the mermaids, understood, Reacher?"

Reacher gulped as his face turned white. He didn't hear the Lost Boys snorting and snickering. Chills had run down the body part that Peter had threatened to remove from him and sweat was rolling down his back.

"Understood?" Peter asked again, sneering.

Reacher swallowed hard, feeling like there was a lump in his throat, and nodded. "Yeah, yeah, understood."

Peter tilted his head to the side. "Good, now lead the way to the Dea. I don't like time-wasters."

Reacher turned around frantically and walked twice as fast as before, ignoring all the Lost Boys, who were mocking him by whistling and cheering.

Peter nodded at Felix, who had looked back at him. "Follow the man, boys, as pathetic as he may be."

Felix saluted Peter and turned back to the front. "Let's go, boys!" Felix barked, and the party began to move through the trees once more.

"How do you know if he truly is useful or not?" Peter asked Hook, who was bringing up the rear.

"He found Neverland, didn't he?" Hook said, raising an eyebrow. "I met him in a pub when I was drinking with my crew. He was about to get the devil beaten out of him because he had decided to be smart with another captain. Luckily for him, I stepped in and managed to convince Old Calico Jack that he meant no harm."

"Why did you do that?" Peter asked, frowning. "I know enough about you to know that you're not the type of person to do that."

"Because I saw that he had a big bag of silver on him."

"I thought you had enough money."

"I forgot. I was extremely drunk." Hook explained.

"Typical pirate," Peter said, rolling his eyes. "Then what happened?"

"He was grateful – gave us the silver and offered to help us. All of us were incredibly drunk. Besides, William had gone home. His wife had fallen ill. He said he was a navigator and a tracker. We shrugged and welcomed him to the crew."