ix. The Flying City

' She's the kind of girl who tries not to like you, but in the end just falls for you even harder. '

Sitting with her back up against the wall of the dropship, Carter listened with her eyes closed as Steve began his speech, not helping to lift any of their spirits as they prepared to possibly lose one another.

"Ultron knows we're coming," He began "Odd's are we'll be riding into heavy fire, but that's what we signed up for. The people of Sokovia, they didn't. So our priority is getting them out." Carter knew what she had to do, she would be taking to the sky, destroying bots and saving people from the higher levels, the ones who wouldn't be able to get out in time "All they want is to live their lives in peace, and that's not going to happen today. But we can do our best to protect them. We can get the job done. We'll find out what Ultrons been building, we find Romonoff, we clear the field. Keep the fight between us." 

There was a pause as everyone took in what had been said, the obvious aim was to save as many people as possible before it got out off hand, and that was what Carter planned to do, even if it ended her life.

"Ultron thinks we are monsters, we are whats wrong with the world. This isn't just about beating him, it's about whether he's right." As the words left Steve's mouth Carter opened her eyes, looking around at everyone sorrowfully. 

She knew what she was, and a monster wouldn't be so far fetched.

..........

Making her way off of the Quinjet, Carter took to the sky, quickly making her way to the far side of the towns and villages that would otherwise take longer to reach.

She began ushering people from their homes, advising everyone to tell their neighbours and friends there was a city wide evacuation going on and that everyone needed to leave before things got out of hand. 

She was shocked, to say the least, about everyone's compliance. If it had been somewhere like America then Carter doubted anyone would take the word of a mutant so seriously.

Of course, there was the occasional discriminating word thrown her way or the occasional person who would not believe her. But she quickly figured out all she had to do was threaten those people and they'd quickly do as she said.

Leading the first groups down to the main roads and out of the city, Carter made sure everyone else began to do the same, joining on to the long lines and groups as they began finding their way out on their own.

Bringing herself back down to the ground Carter let her wings stretch out as she cracked her knuckles and her neck, getting ready for the inevitable to happen.

"You are something else you know that Krásny?" The newly recognisable voice of Pietro Maximoff spoke from beside her as he flashed to her side.

"I have no idea what your little nicknames mean Pietro but yeah, I know I'm something else." She emphasised, looking back at her wings briefly before ushering more people to a quicker way out.

"Yes, you are Beautiful, Smart and Funny." He began causing the young women to stop as she looked back at him in shock "And If we make it out of this I would love to take you out one day?" He offered as a light blush fought its way onto Carters cheeks.

"Uh, yeah, of course." She smiled at him slightly as Pietro grinned back at her in tern, speeding off before anything else could be said between the two.