21. Giddiness of power

Varsha's POV.

I bent down to collect the gold jewellery that had fallen down in the balcony. The light giver had not raised yet and hence the lighting was still dim, so I strained my eyes to find them. I may have now become a princess but, I would never forget the days that had me craving to own atleast a piece of gold. I collected them and placed them over the dressing table and turned to head out. There I saw Jiji and I called out to her, she came to me smiling happily, "Hmm.... Someone seems really tired." she said as I huffed but eventually smiled at her comment, "Where is Nandini?" I asked, and then I saw a maid come, she looked beautiful and kind, she bowed deeply and I gasped. God! Is this how it feels to be a princess, the power is so mind numbing. Obviously, it would drive people crazy. She told me about my bath being prepared and I tried my best to keep calm and not jump and run towards the chamber of bathing. Yesterday's experience was playing back in my mind and I closed my eyes for a moment sending a thank you prayer to Lord Krishna, for making my dream come true, not once but twice.

And now maybe, for forever. I wanted to dance like a peacock in rain, for that was the amount of happiness that my heart felt. This all felt so very good. As I came to the bathing chamber, I noticed that the soldiers from yesterday were all replaced with veerangnas (female soldiers) and I felt good about it. Being surrounded by females all my life, it felt better to avoid any possible chances of interaction with men, except Swami, Ofcourse. I smiled a little as I steeped into the hot water and closing my eyes in pleasure. I couldn't help the tears as they flowed our of my life. I could contain all the happiness, I felt and I didn't know how to react, what to do? I closed my eyes.

"Rajkumariji, Rajkumariji." I heard a voice and opened my eyes. I guess I dozed off. "Sorry." I said hastily and she shook her head, "Why are you telling sorry princess, it's me who has to apologize, I never asked your choice of scents and herbs." she said looking at the ground. I shook my head and looked down as well. "No, it's fine, Umm.... But I would like it, if I get some privacy. I will be out soon." I said and she nodded and signaled all other maids to go out. As they exited I slowly took a nice bath. It felt really better, I wore the new clothes and jewellery that the chief maid had arranged for me. I heard others called her "Mukhya." I decided to call her the same and when I called her that after getting dressed, I could see her blushing, I smiled triumphantly, because it had been the first time that had happened. Otherwise, normally it's always me, getting teased and blushing, especially with Swami.

I decided to avoid going there, to him, immediately and instead take a stroll through the huge corridors. I went to a window and prayed to the Sun God. There, while passing, I saw, two women, breaking the spices, their strong odour hug my nose, as I looked at them, I went down to them and admired the quality of the chillied picking it in my hand as they stopped and bowed to me. I nodded my head at them emulating princess Kanaka and closely examined the spice. It looked of the best quality, of course, it was for the Prince, but they were still wet. "Hey, what are you doing? You should first let these chillies dry under Sun for sometime and why are you removing it's seeds, let them be. This way it will last more time and be more spicy." I said and they nodded in obedience. I smiled at them and left. Oh God! This felt oddly, so better. Ordering around, is so much of fun. It feels like I am breathing for the first time. I know arrogance is an evil quality but it was slowly making its way towards me. I feel, so much more better, almost giddy. What else does this new life have for me? From now on an I always going to be this happy that I cry and this powerful that I am giddy? But suddenly, something crossed my mind and I knew, I am always going to be crazy, now, because of LOVE.....

Please Vote, comment and share your thoughts, sorry, for the short chapter.

This chapter is about her new feeling in the palace of her husband, she is elated and happy but can she actually handle all that it comes with?

A different version of this and previous chapter is available in A Emperor's Journey, chapter 10, Spies and spices...

Thank you:)