Competition 1/2 | Natsuya Kirishima x Reader

Start from the beginning

"Oh." Was your only response, for a few seconds he allowed the silence to drag as he simply gauged your reaction. "I'm going to miss you."

He smiled, hands traveling from your face down your arms, then taking hold of your hands in his own. "I'll miss you too. But not even this can tear us apart, right?"

You smiled weakly, fighting the tears that dared to break your countenance.

"No, don't do that!" Natsuya whined, holding your face again. "I don't want to make you cry."

"You can't stop me." You did not hold back now, throwing your arms around his neck. He gripped your back, laying his own head against your shoulder. "Promise me, that you'll maintain our friendship no matter what."

Natsuya blinked, surprised at your determination to remain in his life.

"It doesn't matter if it takes a thousand texts or video-chats at four in the morning, I'll do it." You supplied, lifting your pinky for him to complete his part of the promise.

He lifted his pinky as well, wrapping it around yours as he stated. "I promise, to always be your best-friend no matter how many oceans separate us. Even if it means having to uber eats food to you from across the globe."

You smiled and gently wrapped your arms around his middle. He took you in his own limbs, wrapping himself around you as he lowered the two of you onto his bed.

Looking at his hazel eyes, you warmed at the sight of him so unguarded. He smiled at the close proximity, lightly kissing your forehead and keeping his face close to yours – even to the point where the two of you were sharing the same breathing space.

Natsuya rubbed you in comfort, "I know you'll be the strongest wing-spiker on your campus - who will have no problems in kicking swan ass in the future as well."

You hummed at his words, nestling yourself further into his arms and closing your eyes. It would not be the first time you slept over his home. And it seemed like he did not mind it at all, from the way he squeezed you closer to his body and kissed at your forehead yet again.

There was no one quite like Natsuya Kirishima, in your lifetime at least. You remembered just how much the brunet supported you all through your volleyball career. He was sure to cheer you on during scrims, present for all the big milestones in your sport – making sure he was also one of the loudest voices heard when you played at nationals.

His mere presence was like rock, solid in its foundation. And it grounded you despite all the pressures of the past few years.

There was nothing else compared to the ongoing adrenaline when you stood proud at nationals, center stage and in the final sixteen teams in the whole country. You could literally feel the pressure grow, expanding past the remnants of your mind and almost suffocating you.

You remembered the distinct grip it had on your heart, grasping at your chest slightly as you stood on the court.

But Natsuya had seen it all. Comforting you beyond compare through his loud shots in the stands.

You couldn't ask for better friends.

Which was exactly why the prospect of letting him go, after all these years of dependence on him, it was a horrifying idea.

And a terrible awakening.

Natsuya Kirishima was not yours, no matter how you wished so.

Your friendship started innocent, simply as classmates who had such a love and fervor for their respective sports. A determination that would rarely ever waver - it was a mutual respect for your hard personalities that had you understand each other.