Not Strong Enough To Say No

Mulai dari awal

Breakfast was quite hectic. Between the Gray family and my friends and parents, the house was packed. Once breakfast was finished, the rest of the day was spent in preparation for the rehearsal dinner tonight. Nate and Shane went into town to do some last minute tux alterations, my parents went with them. It was just me and the girls. Ashley and Dianna were both napping while Taylor kept me company.

"Nate is adorable." Taylor said.

"Isn't he?" I asked scrunching my nose and smiling.

"So what's up with you and Demi?" She asked.

"Nothing." I answered shrugging.

"There's a very weird tension between you guys." She said.

"Tay, I don't know what you want me to say. She's difficult to get a long with." I said annoyed.

"She seems like a complicated person. Who wouldn't be with her past." She said.

"Anyway." I said rolling my eyes. "Can we just talk about something else." I begged.

"Sure." She said smiling. "I think Shane is cute." She said.

"I guess." I said laughing.

Our conversation was interrupted by the sound of two people screaming at each other. Taylor and I both looked at each other as we realized the yelling was coming from outside. I realized it was Demi and her father once I saw them through the window. They both looked livid. I watched as Demi yanked the door open and walked through without closing it.

"Don't you walk away from me!" I heard Steve yell at her as he followed her inside.

"Fuck you!" She yelled back. She stormed down the hall and I heard the sound of breaking glass and a loud thump.

"Dammit!" Steve growled. "Connie! Dump all the alcohol." He said tersely to his wife.

He glanced at Taylor and I, and gave an apologetic smile before heading down the hallway after Demi.

Connie shook her head sadly. "It won't do any good." She said to him.

He didn't hear her.

"What's happening?" I asked.

"Steve confronted her about her drinking. She's been off the wagon for a while now, but it's gotten real bad lately." She explained.

"Is there anything I can do to help?" I asked.

"She doesn't want help." Connie said sadly.

I couldn't help but feel responsible. I was beginning to think that I was bad for her well being. I felt like I was slowly driving her insane. I needed to talk to her but I wasn't sure what would happen. I could hear more yelling coming from down the hallway. I could hear heavy footfalls coming down the hallway. As soon as I saw her, I gasped. She looked pissed. Her hand was bleeding and it dripped onto the hardwood floors as she walked. She quickly grabbed her truck keys of the counter, leaving behind a red smear of blood. She yanked the front door open and slammed it so hard, it rattled the windows.

"Jesus Christ." Taylor whispered.

"I'm sorry about that." Steve said softly. "She's struggling right now and I don't know how to reach her."

"It's ok." I said softly. "I'll help clean this up." I told him as I grabbed a cloth and some bleach.

"Thank you." He said touching my arm lightly.

I quickly cleaned up the blood she had left on the counter and the floor. I was shocked when I saw that she had destroyed the grandfather clock in the hallway. I knew that it had belonged to her great grandfather. I could see her blood on some of the jagged pieces of glass. She was falling apart and I wasn't really a hundred percent as to why. I know what happened between us was a part of it, but there was an underlying darkness to her. I watched as Steve began to pick up the pieces of the clock. He looked angry and sad at the same time. I felt sorry for him. I know he loved his daughter and he wanted to help her.