Chapter 8

Chapter 8

                                                LUCIA

                “Jesse,” I shouted.

                I didn’t know what happened. But all I saw was the semi fly by. Then it stopped. The man got out, his eyes bewildered. His face pale.

                “Where is he?!” He yelled at me, his breath short.

                I shook my head. “I-I…”

                “Under the truck!! Is he under my truck?!”

                The crowd that suddenly surrounded us checked all around, some pulled out their cell phones, dialing 9-1-1.

                “He isn’t here!” A woman who was crouching, looking under the truck called out.

                “Jesse!” I yelled, my feet finally beginning to move.  

                I ran towards the truck, only to be stopped by a shout from my right. “Here! Here! The truck driver called.

                Swiftly I turned towards him, and sure enough there was Jesse. He was safe, unharmed, lying in the arms of an Angel.

                “Tyler,” I gasped. Quickly I sprinted towards the two boys. Jesse was collapsed in Tyler’s arms. His head hanged off of Tyler, he was unconscious.  

                “You’re a brave young man,” The driver huffed. “Is he alright?”

                I stared at the Angel, his blond hair so gold. He nodded at the man. They exchanged words. “Thank you”s and “It’s okay.”s. “Didn’t have time to stop.” “He’s fine…” “Take care of him…” “Tell him I’m sorry…” “Don’t be…” “Just an accident…”

                They talked for a couple minutes the man clearly distributed by what just happened. But I still couldn’t take my eyes off of the two boys. Right here standing before me…a boy and an Angel, but it was an Angel with no wings.

~*~

                “What do you think you’re doing?” I snapped as we entered the privacy of Jesse’s apartment.

                We had found Jesse’s keys inside his jean pocket. And once inside Tyler gently placed Jesse on his bed. Then we left him to rest. As soon as we entered the living room though…I finally found words to talk.

                Tyler just stared at me. His eyes held no guilt, no shame, nothing…but kindness.

                “Tyler,” I whispered. “Where are your-“

                Subconsciously he touched his shoulder.

                “Tyler. What are you doing here?”

                With a small smile he took a step towards me. “I gave them up.”

                My jaw dropped, my eyes bulged, and my breath stopped. “What?!”

                Tyler chuckled a bit. His smile grew. And with that stupid English accent of his he said. “I said darling, I gave them up.”

                “For what?!”

                He hooked his thumb over his shoulder. “For you and that boy.”