"Ye almost sounded like yer old mech there."

First Aid frowned at the mention of Ratchet, and Hound immediately regretted it. "I'll take that as a compliment." First Aid replied "After all, in a different world, at a different time, this might have been his med bay." First Aid turned and gave a small smile "I guess we all know that feeling, one way, or another, though." He added thoughtfully.

"That's war." Hound replied "It takes the best of us." He sighed a moment "Alright, I'm off to see what I missed from Prowl. I can at least fill out the memos he surely has for me."

"Take it easy." First Aid replied firmly "Medics orders."

This time, Hound waved him off slightly and walked off towards Prowl's office. For the moment, he would be thankful for the distraction from waiting for Mark, and wanting to tear Cyclonus apart even more than he already wanted to.

...

"So, your education process is going well?"

Mark pulled himself from his thoughts as Drift spoke up and leaned back against the Bugati's seat. He shrugged a bit, and kept the grin he'd had on his face, which seemed to spread from ear-to-ear. "It's whatever. But who cares about school anymore. It's summer vacation, Drift. I don't have to see that prison for a whole three months!" He then added "We should take you out for a spin around town, you're a Bugati man, girl's love a hot car."

The silence from Drift almost surprised Mark. Though Drift seemed to be a serious philosopher type, his alternate form had always struck him as meaning that there was some party animal side to him. "Perhaps we are better off not provoking human femmes in such a manner." Drift commented "My instructions are to take you to and from school on the grounds that..."

"Because of what happened to DC, yeah, I know."

Mark rolled his eyes, he wasn't sure he was going to like that. Though he perked up a bit as he remembered that at the very least, Hound was supposed to come back online that day. "You might believe Prowl is strict, but believe me, Mark, I have seen the other side of the coin." Drift explained patiently "If the Decepticons set their sights on you, they will do more than use you against us?"

"Wait a minute." Mark held up a hand, surprise in his eyes "You were a 'Con?"

There was a bit of silence between the two then as Drift drove through the streets of Fullton, Texas. "Many moons ago, when your planet was even younger than it is now." Drift began "I went by the name of Deadlock, and I fought for the Decepticons, yes. I did not have a very good life in my sparklinghood, I was a very angry mech." He then added "But even then, as time went on, I came to see that I was never meant for the Decepticons."

"Well, duh." Mark replied "You're the most zen person I know, Drift. I couldn't imagine you being savage like they are."

There was a certain edge to the response Drift gave. "Young grasshopper, you are young, and in many ways naiive." Mark blinked a little "Not all Decepticons carry the savageness of Galvatron. Nor do all Autobots carry the kindness of Optimus Prime." He explained, his voice quiet, and patient "Someday you will learn that good and evil is not just black and white, there is a grey area."

There were more Decepticons that might have been like Drift? Mark found that hard to believe, though he supposed there may have been some spies in the Decepticons as well. He crossed his arms slightly, taking a deep breath. "The more I learn about this war, the weirder all of this gets." Mark replied with a grunt "I'm glad you're on our side though, man. You and Sides are two swordsman I would not want to be on the other side of."

They both laughed a little at that as Drift turned down a road headed towards the base. "Me too, Markus-kun, I am most glad that I found my way from the wayward path I walked." But he quickly added to that statement "And yet, I am thankful for the way it has opened my mind to the world more clearly. For I have seen the darkest, and brightest sides of people."

"That's why you don't hold anything against my dad..."

"Precisely." Drift replied "I did many horrible things as Deadlock, I slaughtered... Many innocents." Mark listened intently as they made it to the base's checkpoint "There was a time, one might say, where your father and I were one in the same." Mark was glad that he never had to meet this "Deadlock" "But these are matters we need not dwell on." He finished.

As they finally passed the checkpoint, and entered the hangar, Mark was amazed. Had a half hour really passed since they started talking? He was more than a little surprised, as he and Drift never made much conversation. "Thanks again for giving me a ride to my last two days of school, Drift." Mark spoke as they entered the hangar, and Drift let him out "You're pretty cool, you know that?"

Another chuckle emitted from Drift as he transformed into his robot form. The samurai bot simply smiled down at him, and put his hands on his hips. "I only hope that I have not managed to make you frightened of me." Drift admitted politely "As the Deadlock side of my personality is long gone now."

"I've ridden on top a one-hundred foot tall t-rex." Mark replied "If I can do that without pissing my pants. Finding out what you were won't phase me."

Drift smirked, but nodded in agreement. He knew from experience that it was a scary experience all in itself. "I must get back to my post, Markus-kun. But I see that Hound is waiting for you." He pointed to a small distance where Hound was approaching them "Take care." He took a small bow before heading off.

"Hound!" Mark shouted as he jogged up "You're awake!"

Hound grinned as he picked his young charge up into his palm. He felt the young human hug his thumb, tight enough that he almost worried that he may hurt himself. "Yep, new, improved, and with brand-spanking new chest plating." Hound gently tapped his chest plate slightly "I'm sorry I gave ye a scare there, Mark. I never meant to do that."

"It's fine." Mark replied, with a breath of relief "Just... Never do that again."

"You know I can't promise you that."

"Promise you'll try?" Mark asked.

Hound smiled a little at that, and held him carefully to his chest. The cheeky smile on his face said it all, yet he still gave a response. "Alright, I promise from here on out to be more careful in battle." Hound raised a hand as if swearing an oath "Now c'mon, I'm off-duty for a whole week. Why don't we head into the mess hall and grab some grub. Then you can tell me how your finals went." He added.

Mark smiled as Hound finally deposited him on his shoulder. He knew it wouldn't be the last close-call that they'd have, but at least their first "close call" was over.

Transformers: A Matter of Fateजहाँ कहानियाँ रहती हैं। अभी खोजें