Chapter 2

The next morning, Eneas couldn't help but blush when he served Jacinto his breakfast. "Some game of cards last night," he blurted. "I don't think the few glasses of wine helped me any."

"I don't suppose they keep the wine back there?" Jacinto asked with a sudden flash of deviousness.

"We do," Eneas stuttered.

"You're a good friend to have," Jacinto smiled, turning to take a seat at Lucas' table.

"Eneas," Matim said, next in line. "Tell me something."

"Yes sir?" the cook said, his gaze lingering on Jacinto.

"The men and I were having a debate last night," he said. "Do you take the meals to the Captain's quarters or does Jon?"

"Jon does," Eneas said. "Why should that matter?"

"We just wondered if anyone had gotten a look at his room," Matim said. "Wondered what kind of luxuries are in there."

Eneas shook his head, annoyed. "I doubt many more than in ours. The ship is only so wide, Matim. But I tell you what, if I get the chance to serve him, I will take a detailed record."

Matim seemed satisfied with this answer, leaving the line to find a seat.

The life of cooking and serving was already monotonous. It was almost suffocating, never getting to see the sky. That night, once they had cleaned the last dinner dish, Eneas snuck his way up to the deck, his first breath of fresh air all day.

Before he could even glimpse the stars, he saw Matim with his bright blonde hair resting against the railing and for a moment thought he might turn around. But he wouldn't let an annoyance ruin his chance at soaking in the evening. Eneas glanced upward, the sky taking up the entirety of his vision. It was magnificent. The world felt so vast and ready for the taking.

"Wonderful meal," Matim said.

"Thank you," Eneas breathed, still looking up. "It feels like everything goes on forever out here."

"Hard to fathom, isn't it?" Matim said.

When Eneas glanced down, he caught the look in Matim's eyes, and for a moment, wondered if it could be the same look that he often gave Jacinto. "What?" he asked.

"Hard to fathom that we can be out this far, unattached to land. We feel so far away already, even though we've just begun," Matim said.

"What do you think they mean?" asked Eneas. "How do they tell where we are?" he pointed up at the stars.

"I wouldn't be the man to ask," Matim said. "I can't see further than the hand in front of me." He laughed, holding up a hand at arm's length. "I'm really only good with the ropes."

"I think that bright one is supposed to be North," Eneas said. "But I don't know, they're all kind of bright."

"You'll want to ask Eduardo," a man with a heavy beard chimed in. Eneas had seen him grunt his thanks at his breakfast counter a few times. "He's the navigator," the man said. "Kind of a prick, though."

"Thanks," Eneas smiled.

"Anyone for a game of cards?" the bearded man asked and Matim quickly followed him.

Eneas remained with his hands clutching the railing, unable to look away from the heavens.

On the fourth evening, Eneas had grown tired of the secrecy around changing his clothes. Getting up earlier than the other men helped a great deal, but he wondered if he could carry on like this for the entire journey. Angrily, he laid on his hammock in his cooking smock until it seemed all the other men had started to fall asleep. Then he turned out of his hammock and quietly walked over to the small shelf that he was able to call his own. In the dark, he stripped himself of his clothes and began to fumble through the shelf, searching for his nightgown.