Chapter Eight - Temptation

Start from the beginning

After quickly adjusted the robe, she looked him up and down and smirked.

He glanced down at the skimpy piece of silk he was wearing around his hips and silently cringed. Then he lifted her back into his arms to hide his embarrassment as well as his nakedness.

Holding onto his shoulders, she gazed into his eyes. “Have I died and gone to Heaven or am I in Hell with a demon?”

“Neither,” he said, zooming off into the night again. He’d never felt so energised in his entire existence and he didn’t know what to make of it, but as he zipped under the moon, she clung on tighter and rested her head against his bare chest.

“I’m still scared,” she said. “So don’t drop me.”

“It’s all right, Eloise, I would never drop you.”

She glanced up at him again. “This is just crazy. I must be having a nightmare. Who are you and how do you know my name?”

“I’ll tell you soon, but hold on because I’m about to descend.”

“Oh, please don’t go fast again,” she pleaded, gripping onto his bicep.

He jerked as a power surge shot up his arm, but instead of plummeting again, he sailed on a breeze, then swerved to the right. What was she doing to him?

She wrapped her arms around his neck. “Please slow down.”

He smiled. “Don’t panic, you’re safe with me.”

As she squealed into his ear, he zigzagged around the twinkling stars and pointed to a meteor storm. “Look, Eloise. You have to see this.”

She gazed up and gasped, “Wow! That’s so beautiful. What is it?”

He flew to a nearby cloud and put her gently down. “It’s actually a shooting star, but you’re seeing it close up.” With his arm around her shoulder, they watched as shiny pieces of stardust fell from the sky like raindrops from Heaven.

Laughing, she reached out to touch them, but they were too far away. She smiled up at him, her eyes luminous. “I don’t know who you are, but I must be having a beautiful dream. I’ve never seen anything like this before.

He knew he should take her back to the hospital, but first, he wanted to give her something to protect her from Lucifer. She’d obviously lost her crucifix. Picking her up with one arm, he raised the other above his head and rocketed upwards. As Eloise held onto him, he grabbed one of the particles, then swooped down, plummeting below the mist and heading back to Earth.

She waved her right arm up and down. “I’m a bird.”

Nathaniel smiled. She looked more like an angel than a bird, especially the way her hair was blowing around her face.

When they descended beneath the clouds, the vast oceans and city lights came into view. Eloise threw her arms around his neck. “Holy crap. Now I can see how high up we are, I’m really scared. Oh, please, don’t let me fall.”

As she shivered with fear, he squeezed her tighter to his chest. “Hey, I’m an angel. Don’t you trust me?”

She gripped his shoulders and gazed into his eyes. “I don’t know what to believe.”

Nathaniel quickly looked away. Being so close to her was giving him strange pleasurable vibrations and they were causing him to lose focus. Shaking his head, he forced himself to pay more attention to where they were going. As he flew towards the beach, Eloise peeked over her arm. “Oh, my God, there’s Creed Valley. You’re taking me home.”