Chapter Eight - Temptation

Temptation

Fuelled by fury, Nathaniel rocketed upwards at cosmic speed. Knowing Devlin wouldn’t give up without a fight, he wished he’d worn stretch pants instead of a robe, and he couldn’t believe he hadn’t worn his sword, but every second counted and there was no time to go back.

As he zoomed through the atmosphere, he wondered why he’d been so careless. He should’ve been prepared for Devlin to be so underhanded that he’d take Eloise’s soul while she was under anaesthetic, especially after he’d threatened to kidnap her. Eloise was the sweetest and most precious ward he’d ever had and he didn’t know what he’d do if anything happened to her. He just prayed he was heading in the right direction. If not, who knows where Devlin would take her.

Propelling himself higher, he darted around the stars and shot towards the Heavens. He had to get to Eloise before Devlin bargained with Lucifer, that’s if he hadn’t already.

Once Devlin’s cloud came into view, Nathaniel slowed his pace, then as softly as he could, he swooped beneath it. When he looked up, he could clearly see Devlin next to Eloise on his bed, but worse, his arm was around her shoulders and he was stroking her face. With rage zapping his core, Nathaniel balled his fingers into fists. He wanted to crush Devlin’s head with his bare hands and scorch his wings off forever, but there was no time for that. He had to get Eloise back into her body, and fast. Stretching his arms up, he burst through the cloud and grabbed her by the waist, then holding her tight, he back-kicked Devlin with all of his strength, sending him tumbling backwards into the dark night sky.

Eloise writhed and thrashed in his arms as she tried to free herself. “What are you doing? Let go of me.”

Gripping her tighter, Nathaniel flew off into the night. “It’s okay, settle down. I won’t hurt you.”

“Oh, my God!” she squealed, peeking below. “Please don’t drop me! I’m scared of heights.”

“Don’t worry. I won’t let you fall.” As he held her to his chest, he realised with shock that she was totally naked, and for the first time in his whole existence he felt the stirrings of something he’d never known. With his loss of focus, they began plummeting towards Earth at full speed.

Eloise clung to his neck and screamed in his ear, bringing his mind back to attention.

He blinked twice, then in a flash, he adjusted his wings and shot upwards. He couldn’t understand it. He’d held thousands of souls throughout the centuries, yet none had disturbed him like that before.

Trembling in his arms, she stared at him. “Holy Crap! You’re the bad angel, aren’t you?”

Nathaniel threw his head back and laughed. He was so ecstatic he’d managed to save her, he didn’t care if she believed Devlin’s lies, but he wanted to put her mind at ease. “Of course I’m not.”

“Take me back,” she yelled. “I’m scared of heights and I don’t believe you.”

“I wish you’d stop screeching in my ear like that.” He flew to a nearby cloud and put her down, then he whipped his robe off.

“Oh, my god,” she screamed, crouching into a ball with her hands over her breasts. “What are you doing?”

There was a full moon and now that he was facing her, he could clearly see she was terrified of him. Ashamed of himself, he grabbed her hand and pulled her up. “It’s all right, Eloise. Don’t worry, I’m not a bad angel and I’m not going to hurt you. I’m just giving you my gown.” As he tugged it over her head, their eyes locked and he froze. Even as a spirit she was beautiful.