Chapter Twenty-Three: Fight

Beginne am Anfang

     Lorenzo looked away, probably feeling the same way about Percyus.

     I sniffed and squeezed his hand in a sort of reassuring manner, "It's okay. I'm sorry too."

     He suddenly grew stiff, "Calla look at me."

     I immediately obeyed, wondering what I had down to make him angry. His tone was hard and commanding, a complete opposite of what he was seconds before. I bit back a whimper and looked up, connecting my eyes with his, "Yes, sir?"

     He suddenly muttered, "Shit."

     I was confused for a second before he quickly rushed out, "I didn't mean to scare you. I just wanted you to look at me. I'm not mad, I promise." He assured, giving me a forced smile. "I just wanted to know why you would be sorry. None of this was your fault."

     I gulped back my fear and answered, "I could've helped sooner. And if I hadn't talked back to him in the first place, he wouldn't have gotten so angry."

     He shook his head sternly, "The only person to blame is... Haes." I noticed he didn't call him Father, like he has before.

     I sniffed and nodded, wiping at my tear stained face. "You're right, I'm sorry. I still feel guilty, and no amount of reason can shake that." I sigh, feeling ashamed.

     "I feel guilty for not doing anything, even though I physically couldn't." Lorenzo added, a half smile on his face. "I understand."

     I smiled at his comment, happy and relieved I wasn't the only one feeling unnecessarily guilty over something I couldn't control. We looked at Percyus as he started to move again. He grunted with effort, trying but failing to lean back and lie down. He looked incredibly tired. "This sucks." He muttered when Lorenzo offered him a hand.

     "I know, buddy." He responded, giving him a pat on the shoulder.

Percyus gave him a weak smile but we could both see the pain in his eyes as he tried to find a comfortable position. He was beaten beyond belief, his face one big mass of black, blue, and purple. His wrapped wrist looked like the width of my thigh from swelling. He was naturally big, but his wrist was awful. The bone had been severed by being snapped all the way back. A couple of his ribs were broken too, which just added to the pain. It sounded painful to breathe, as if his raspy inhales were any indication. I subconsciously squeezed his hand to make him feel better and he looked up at me, a hint of a smile tugging at his bruised lips.

He turned to Lorenzo, "Can I have some time with Calla?"

My heart took a leap to my throat at his words, as a light pink spattered across my cheeks in an embarrassing heat. For all I knew I could be yelled at, but I couldn't get over how good Calla rolled from his mouth. It fit and all I could think about was how blissful his voice was, even if it was hoarse.

     When Lorenzo left, Percyus gave my hand a squeeze, "I didn't want to ask this when he was around..." a small frown settled upon his face making my smile fall and stomach turn. "Why did you jump in to help me?"

     I was shocked at the absurdity of the question. Why would I not intervene? He was hurt, it's my job as his mate to protect him and him to protect me. "Because he was hurting you." I said, my head cocked to the side in confusion.

     "You'd risk your life to save mine?"

     The words slipped out before I could even think of the question, "Of course." Did he think I would just let him die?

"Why would you do that?"

My brows furrowed at his onslaught of ridiculous questions, but he seemed serious so I answered without question. "B-Because you're my mate. That's what mates do, is it not?"