N°1

It had been a tepid summer day like every other in your whole almost eighteen years of life thus far, just another day guided and controlled by your duties. No surprise really, as royalty, your entire life practically belonged to pleasing others expectations. In your humble case your devoted loyalty to the monarchy was of even greater importance, seeing as you were the only surviving child in your family bloodline to carry on the legacy, the king's daughter of all things.

And as your mother had tragically died after giving birth to you (As did about 20% of women at the time.), her last child, there was no one to replace you; making you by default the most precious thing in your father's life besides his title. And as such, you acted accordingly, followed your morning prayers, dispensing charity, learning how to fulfill chores, and observing your education regarding public affairs, politics and history. As it was your duty and destiny to one day take your place on that throne beside the next king, whoever that might end up being.

But really, that never was what you had deeply desired, none of those particular luxuries ever meant a dime to you. Of course you followed them with a thankful smile, but deep down you had never wanted more than to see the world outside this golden, glorified birdcage. Since a young age, when you had explored the vast family library, you had always wanted to travel the lands. But this heritage bound you to this estate, it bound you to a life that was never to be truly yours to craft in your design, you belonged to your country.

As mentioned, this evening was no different, it merely left you dreaming of the life you wished to proceed with, bored out of your mind on some high-class social gathering; or in this specific case, a masquerade ball. Well, maybe not any arbitrary festivity, after all it was held in your honour, as introduction to the eyes of royal society as being "out". Why that was of such profound importance? Because it was the day of your eighteenth birthday, the day you were officially recognized as an adult in these high circles of hierarchy.

Even if in your mind that was more a vile, unjust curse then a blessing, knowing that this day marked the beginning of the end for you, the first step closer to a mindless existence as a mere trinket. Seeing as you were now of age to be courted and wed off to some politically relevant bachelor your father would undoubtedly choose this night, that idea alone was enough to make this a day you would have rather spent hidden in a deep, dark corner to weep your eyes out as you awaited your judgment.

You dreaded that foul thought, and if it hadn't been for the potentially lethal punishment awaiting you for disobeying your role as the biddable daughter, you would have fled this place long ago. But the fear of being chased and eventually beheaded for treason of your country and responsibilities, was enough to keep you amenable. So you had no choice but to attend this flashy feast in full, embellished finery and a constant rehearsed, polite smile flourishing on your scarlet painted lips.

From the senseless dancing with stranger men in obscure masks, and the mindless smalltalk with dolled up ladies who all congratulated you on how elegant you looked tonight, so all the usual; you had finally managed to catch a break from the comatose revels. Leaning against the frigid marble wall in a far off corner of the large, posh hall that was illuminated with hundreds of candles and glittering chandeliers, observing the particolored guests merily bustling through the banquet hall.

Abscently fiddling with the fancy flounce on your seemingly bone crushingly tight, ornate corselette, all the while daydreaming about all adventurous in those exotic places you had read about in books; you hadn't even notice a party of giggling young women approaching you. "Y/N! Y/N, what are you doing back here all by your lonesome? No need to look so gloomy on such a special occasion." One of the lavishly dressed ladies calls out to you, making you wince a bit.

Glancing up at the equally elegantly masked array of young women, a courteous, pursed lipped smile appears on your face. You knew them of course, all nobel females from neighboring estates, pretty much all the social contact you were allowed to have outside of political interests. "I merely needed a break, 'tis all. Do not worry yourself, I'll join you in a moment." You excuse yourself with a mellow voice. They all seemed awfully excited about something, usually a good sign. But on this night you didn't feel like gossiping, seeing as that was their usual preferred pastime aside from practicing their embroidering.