THREE

CHAPTER THREE
' TRYING NOT TO BE OFFENDED . '

Ash moved to stand by the Anulax batteries as she removed her jetpack, a sigh escaping her as she dropped the machinery. She used her free hands to massage her forehead, her grimace slightly loosening as she tried to stop a migraine from building. The others joined her, and Ash took the opportunity to crouch and inspect the storage case holding the batteries.

"What are they called again?" Drax asked.

"Anulax batteries," Ash replied, reaching to pick one up.

"Harbulary batteries."

"That's nothing like what she just said." Quill stepped forward and slapped Ash's hand away as her fingers were centimetres away from touching it. "But they're worth thousands of units apiece, which is why the Sovereign hired us to protect them."

Ash glared at him but returned to her full height and pushed him playfully out of the way before leading the group out of the platform. She adjusted her trench coat as Quill overtook her, and they entered the building filled with Golden Sovereign Citizens. Ash's hands found themselves in her pockets as they approached.

"Just be careful what you say around these folks. They're easily offended, and the cost of transgression is death," Quill reminded, glancing behind at them.

"Sounds judgmental for a bunch of golden morons," Drax replied.

Ash grimaced, giving him a warning look. "That's the kind of thing you might want to keep to yourself."

"I'll hold my tongue as long as they deliver what was promised," Gamora vowed.

"We thank you, Guardians, for putting your life on the line. We could not risk the lives of our own Sovereign citizens," the High Priestess spoke, looking down at them (metaphorically and physically) from her throne. "Every citizen is born exactly as designed by the community, impeccable, both physically and mentally. We control the DNA of our progeny, germinating them in birthing pods."

Quill's face broke out into a smirk. "I guess I prefer making people the old-fashioned way,"

"Well... perhaps someday you could give me a history lesson in the archaic ways of our ancestors... for academic purposes."

Ash furrowed her eyebrows, glancing at Rocket over her shoulder, who subtly shook his head.

"Yeah, I mean, if it's for research that could be pretty-" Quill glanced at Gamora. "-Pretty repulsive. I'm not into that kind of casual-"

"Oh, please." Gamora stepped forward. "Your people promised something in trade for our services. Bring it, and we shall gladly be on our way."

The Priestess stared at her for a moment before nodding in reply.

Two soldiers emerged with a woman in a hood and cloak, her wrists bound by shackles. They shoved her to her knees and yanked back her hood. Ash tilted her head as Nebula scowled at them but didn't return it as Gamora did.

Quill looked from one to the other, feeling the tension. "Family reunion. Yaaaay," he whispered.

"I understand she is your sister?" the Priestess asked.

Gamora roughly picked Nebula up, beginning to leave. "She's worth no more to me than the bounty due for her on Xandar."

"Money?" Ash looked up hopefully towards the others.

"Our soldiers apprehended her attempting to steal the batteries. Do with her as you please."

Quill half bowed. "Thank you, High Priestess Ayesha."

Just as they turned to leave, the Priestess spoke again, "What is your heritage, Mr Quill?"

He stopped, glancing at Ash, who also halted. He turned, hiding his grimace with an easy grin. "My mother is from Earth."

"And your father?"

"He's... not from Missouri. That's all I know."

Ayesha stared at Quill as if she had eaten something foul. "I see it within you, an unorthodox genealogy. A Hybrid that seems particularly... reckless." Quill shared another glance with Ash.

"Well, that's not very nice," she mumbled, shifting on her feet.

"And you..." The Priestess' look turned to her. "I see something similar."

"Oh, great," she added quietly. "I'm trying not to be offended, but it's really hard."

Rocket grinned sarcastically at her. "You know, they told me you people were conceited douchebags. But that isn't true at all." Rocket turned to Quill and Ash, winking, causing the Guardians to shift uncomfortably. "Oh, shit, I'm using my wrong eye again, aren't I? I'm sorry. That was meant to be behind your back."

Drax grabbed Rocket and pulled him away. The others followed behind them silently, the group trying to get out fast without it looking like so. Quill and Ash shared another look, and she offered a shrug in return for his silent question.