Chapter 16: Love makes it better

He thinks about my question and starts fidgeting with the salt.

"My parents really loved each other. They went for a holiday to Thailand, this was when I was in high school. They would take me everywhere but I refused that time because I was getting older and I realized that they need their space. On their return flight......you could guess....what happened..."

"Oh my God...I'm so sorry, Mahir." I take his hand in mine, slightly soothing it. "Why did you not tell me earlier...?"

"I knew you were having family troubles and I didn't want to burden you."

"I love you, Mahir. Where there's love, there's no burden."

"I know. Did I mention my parents eloped?" He softens into a smile, drawing something on my palms with his tips.

"That explains why they were so in love!! They even made such a hot, handsome man...."

Mahir blushes and licks his lips. Hot!! "After years, my grandfather set out to find them. He found us a year before I could go to high school. We became so close and I was so happy to know that I have another family member in my life. Little did I know that the next year...my parents were on a one way trip..."

"Is your grandfather still around?" I ask him with a heavy heart, scared of the answer.

"Unfortunately...no. 3 years ago he was diagnosed with lung cancer."

"I can only imagine how you felt."

"I miss them a lot and in the beginning it was difficult but...life goes on. Kind of turned out to be very rich because I had my parents will and his."

"Nice!!! You don't seem like it though..."

"Not everyone is a show off like you, Ritasha!" He teased and I rolled my eyes. "Getting my parents will was no hassle. We were simple people with a simple home. But my grandfather's will...is a big challenge. His last wish....is pathetic as fuck!!"

"I'm sure he wanted what's best for you, babe."

"Marrying Divyanka is not the best thing for me!! My grandfather always thought we'll end up together. It's so annoying, I couldn't even tell him about Vishakha either."

"Ohhhhhh!!!! Now everything makes sense...."

"You had to know eventually..."

"So if you don't marry Divyanka you won't be a millionaire??"

"Something like that...."

"And your lawyers couldn't fault it in any way? Like married for life?"

"For life...."

"That fucking sucks!!! Did he not know that she had a boyfriend?"

"Unfortunately when he was alive she wasn't seeing anyone. When I found her to explain the will and all she suddenly got in serious relationship."

"When did you get engaged to her then?"

"Earlier this year. It was all a show for the lawyers."

I frown in anger and irritation. I don't want Mahir to marry her!!! I want all of him and I'm not prepared to take the position as a damn mistress!!!

"Babe...please calm down. I promise I'll handle everything."

"Handle everything?? You going to marry her!!!!"

"No!! I'll find a way out of this!! Trust me."

"If you don't marry her?"

"Money goes to charity."

"What a noble cause!!"

"It's not the normal charity. It's a club to commemorate dead people!! What shit is that??? The money can be used for so many valuable things."

"Definitely...You...going to marry that bitch!!"

"She's my friend!! Don't call her that!!"

"Why? Are you really in love with her that's why it hurts you?"

"Ritasha, stop being so immature. I wouldn't waste my time with you by risking my career...."

"What if she loves you?"

"She doesn't!!!! We. Are. Just. Friends. I told you she has a boyfriend!"

"I don't care!! A beautiful girl and handsome guy, just friends?"

"You annoying me now!!!"

"You panicking me out now!!!"

"Mom said phone her when you land. She must be worried."

"No, no, no. Don't change the topic!!"

"You don't trust me?"

"I do."

"Then stop fucking doubting me!!" He fists his hands on the table.

I was so annoyed. We ate in silence. Then he left me at the hostel without saying a proper goodbye. Mahir is an ass!!! Stella had a nice weekend. She was still on the phone with the plane guy when I entered. I didn't disturb her. Afterwards she told me every single detail. I didn't say much about my weekend. Vishakha's party was the highlight. I'll tell her about all this drama some other time. I phone mom to inform her that we are home safely.

The next day Mahir doesn't even look at me. Everyone even noticed that he was in a terrible mood. Maybe I was at fault...
After class I speak to him.

"Are we meeting today?" He doesn't answer ignoring me. "I'm talking to you, Mahir!!"

He looks at me. "No."

I was so frustrated!!! I wanted to take the stapler and throw it at his big head!!! "Why!!?"

"I don't know. Maybe I have plans with Divyanka....my best friend." Look who's being so mature now!!

"Oh. Have fun." I tell him turning to exit when he pulls me back locking the door. "Let me go."

"No."

"Mahir, you're irritating me!! Please don't waste my time. Unlike you, I have important things to do."

"Like what?" He walks me back to the table. "Getting back with Arjun?"

"What the fuck!! Where is this coming from?"

My bottom hits the table and he surges forward making me sit on the table. "Same place that you get your feelings about Divyanka."

"Mahir...I'm sorry. I didn't mean it like that..."

"How did you mean it then?" He opens my legs standing in between them.

I drop the books from my hand going back. "I said it because....I always talk like that. I know she's nice."

"No, you don't." He places his hands on the table either side of me. "Be a good girl and tell me."

I decide to pour out all my anger in his answer. "Because I fucking hate it to know that my man is going to belong to some other woman, regardless of who the hell she is to you. You're only mine, Mahir....I'm the only girl that you talk to and look at!! I'm the only girl that you fuck...the only one you make love to....the only one who will marry you. Do you understand?"