14. Lip Gloss and Letdown

A/N- If you didn't notice, the chapter titles are song lyrics, titles and album names. They may not have direct significance to the chapter, but it's what I was listening to as I wrote it. I felt like I should share that, even if I don't know why. 

In other news, I am ECSTATIC about breaking 400+ reads! Thank you for sticking with this with me. Especially with personal drama going on right now, it means a lot. 

++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++

As soon as I got back to the penthouse, Veronica ushered me into her room with a smile on her face. She knelt down and pulled her nail polish box from under her bed and smiled up at me, "What's that smile for? You practically floated up here after walking Harley Davidson Romeo to his bike."

I bit my lip and sat back against the wall as a smile crossed my face, "He loves me. He actually loves me, V. And I love him. Is this supposed to feel like warm and butterflies?" I asked as I pulled out my phone to read Sweet Pea's text.

Sweetest Pea: Made it home safe and in one piece, love. FP is pissed that Satan is keeping you this weekend. He said he's calling him about time during the week and grumbled something about karmic retribution for not upholding the custody agreement for Jellybean and Jug. Hope you're ok, and... I love you.

I typed out a quick text back while Veronica chuckled, "Oh my god. Allyson, the anti-girl, is in love. And he's perfect for you. It's like Heathcliff and Kathy, only not tragic and unconsummated."

"Ok," I raised my eyebrow and frowned at her, "How do you know that? For all you know, I'm still a virgin." I tried my hardest to keep a straight face, but it took about two seconds after I said that last word for Ronnie and I both to crumble into giggles. I hadn't had time with Veronica like this in a while, and to be honest, it felt nice.

"Yeah, no. Ally, I hate to tell you but just seeing you two interact at school. It's painfully obvious that you're...," my cousin paused and looked up from painting her toe nail as she searched for the right word, "intimate. It's kind of adorable, actually."

I only nodded in response and leaned over to inspect the colors she had in her nail polish box. I had been completely uninterested in painting my nails last time I hung out with Veronica but seeing how pretty the polish on her toes looked made me wonder if there was a color I could enjoy.

"See anything you like?" Ronnie asked me, "I don't see you being the type for red. That's too bold of a statement. Here, let me finish my toes and then I'll help you pick something perfect. Maybe to match your winter formal dress?"

"My what?" I knitted my eyebrows together as my eyes stopped on a color that looked like blue. When I picked it up, though, it looked purple. I put it in my hands and then looked up at Veronica, "I didn't know there was a dance, much less that I already have a dress."

"My mom and I found one that would be perfect for you, so we took the liberty of buying it, and we need to go Allyson. To have a united front for the school to see, since this is the first of many years that the Southside residents will be there as well. Daddy is going to make sure Sweet Pea knows to ask you, because as your boyfriend he's expected to play along, too," Veronica looked at the polish I picked out and smiled as she uncapped it and started painting my fingernails.

I scoffed slightly but decided to leave it alone. She knew as well as I did that Sweet Pea wouldn't be influenced as easily as Archie, and he wouldn't be bought or intimidated either. The only way he'd be caught dead at any school function is if I expressed interest, and even then, we'd stay for maybe-maybe, one dance. Then it would be to one of our spots to appreciate each other's formal wear as it got torn off and thrown on the ground.

"So... What about Archie? Are you two unconsummated?" I looked up and giggled as Veronica shook her head and smiled. The night continued on in that way, with Ronnie and I painting nails, then doing face masks and waxing each other's eyebrows as we watched girly movies in her room. I realized that night that Veronica had a lot more in common than I thought- and I had a lot of fun just being a girl, even if I wouldn't admit it at the time.