5. If It Means A Lot To You

I walked into Uncle Hiram's study, and all the calm of the evening's events left me. He was sitting at his desk, looking over some paperwork. I closed the door and he looked up and smiled, "Ah, my little liaison. Tell me, how did your date with serpent royalty go?"

"Nothing to tell," I lied easily, "Sweet Pea just saw that I wasn't comfortable and removed me from the situation. We're friends, nothing more, and I didn't exactly go in guns blazing promoting your political ideas."

"Jesus, never thought I'd see the day... a gang member named after a flower. I don't see why you're so against what I'm doing. I just want Riverdale to be a tourist attraction again. Restore it to its former glory. I can't imagine why your buddies wouldn't want that. It makes their neighborhood safer," my uncle leaned over and poured himself a glass of scotch, then poured some into the second glass he kept on the table and slid it toward me.

I ignored the glass and leaned forward, "They know that this isn't just gentrification, and that eventually you'll drive them out. They're not stupid, and neither am I, uncle. This is more than just hometown spirit. Why don't you tell me what's really going on? It would have to be major for my dad to lie to me about why I'm really here."

He brought his hand down hard on his desk and his eyes turned sharp. "That's not for you know, and your assumptions are dangerous. If I were you I would play along, sweetie. I hate to think of what could happen to you or your friends if you don't."

"Is that a threat, uncle?" I bit back the fear in the back of my head, struggling to stay calm.

"I think you know it's a promise. Did you really think you being family negates your role as a solider? You are either compliant or you are useless. And if you're useless you're dead. Think about it and bring me something useful next time we meet."

I walked out of the study and into my room, ignoring Veronica as she ran after me, demanding details of my date with Sweet Pea.

"Come ON, Ally. You mean to tell me nothing happened at Sweetwater River with Sweet Pea? I know his reputation," Veronica scoffed at me incredulously, "I won't judge. Hell, if I wasn't dedicated to my Archiekins you would have some stiff competition."

I rolled my eyes and looked up at her from my phone, "We kissed, a few times. But really, we mostly just talked. He's actually a really nice guy. He's just rough around the edges is all. By the way, this is strictly girl talk. Don't tell uncle about it."

Veronica frowned at me for a second but nodded and absentmindedly flipped the tv on. We spent the rest of the evening on my bed, watching movies and talking about what I can expect from Riverdale High School.

At one in the morning, I saw my phone light up and smiled when I saw that it was a text. I grabbed my phone, a smile already on my lips as I unlocked it.

SP: Sorry, I've been home a few hours. I just came in and passed out on the couch.

Me: It's ok. I figured you were alright.

SP: How did it go? With your uncle? Are you alright?

I bit my lip and looked at that message and debated how best to answer him. I knew I could tell him the truth, but was honestly worried about what he would do. I knew that Sweet was protective of our kind, and that even if I said it was nothing he would still press. So, I decided to tell him the truth.

Me: I lied about what happened between us to protect you. If he asks, we're friends. But...

He did promise me that if I don't comply I would be killed.

SP: He threatened you? Did he hurt you? I swear if he touched a single hair on your head...

Me: Sweets, calm down. We can't fight fire with fire. I'm going to give him useless information, or outright lies. If I pretend to comply I'm safe. If you go after him, it will be war and we'll all be fucked.

SP: Fine. But if you're hurt in any way, all bets are off, Cat. I mean it. And that's not just boyfriend talk, it's a by-law.

Me: Boyfriend, eh?

SP: Unless you have any objections..?

Me: None whatsoever. Do you want to meet at the quarry tomorrow? Jug invited me out with him Toni.

SP: Always. Sleep tight, Cat.

I slid my phone back on the table and settled back under my blanket and smiled. I was already liking Riverdale, even with the rain cloud hanging over my head.