Erik Durm - The Luckiest Man

2 months... Erik couldn't believe he's already missed 2 months of the league and even worse, he'd received no good news today again. He'd been hoping the doctor would give him a free pass to at least get back to training but he'd been told if he was to do that now, he could risk getting his injury even worse. For how long would he have to struggle with this?

The moment when he'd been kicked was going to stay with him forever. It'd been one of those days when he'd just felt something bad would happen. The sun had been too bright, his mood had been too good, he'd been starting every match of the season and yet he'd had an ominous premonition ahead of the match. It'd turned out his instincts hadn't been bad.

The moment the other player's feet met his shin, Erik had known that it'd been over for him, and not only for that match but for a good amount of time. He could hear the bone cracking, literally hear it. Never in his life he'd heard such sickening noise before. For a moment he'd even been uncertain whether the sound of his bone breaking had been making him sick or the pain that followed that unmistakable cracking.

Yet, he's been hoping that like many others, he could recover fast enough to at least be back for the second part of the season. He's done everything what the physicians told him to do, he's been following every order, every little thing they suggested and yet there was no progress at all.

Depression slowly sneaked upon him without him even noticing. His girlfriend has been trying her best to be supportive, just like his family, his friends and teammates. However, it was difficult, no, beyond difficult to maintain his sanity. He was at his peak, at his best when the chance to shine how his potential suggested had been taken from him.

He's heard too many stories about how players who once had such serious injury wouldn't be the same again. The thought grew on him. He couldn't play the same way again, he couldn't be good enough again, he'd be released from the club, he'd never reach the national team, he'd never win anything ever again. Shadows gathered around his head like dark clouds and there was nothing that could possibly make his misery better.

"Hey babe," his girlfriend welcomed him warily when he walked into their home. She'd moved in after his injury so she could be at help for him. Erik was happy she was there all the time, the only thing that kept him from falling into pieces completely was her. "How did it go?"

He could tell how worried she's been for him and he understood as well. He tried to be strong for her as well, not wanted her to see him at his weakest, at his lowest but sometimes melancholy got the best of him, and today certainly was one of those days.

"They said give it another 2 weeks and we will see." He shrugged apathetically as he shrugged out of his jacket and hang it by the door.

"I'm sorry," she said quietly and he nodded. He really wasn't in the mood to talk about it. To be completely honest, he wasn't in the mood for anything. Erik just wanted to lay down and feel sorry for himself. Maybe it would be time for that, he's been trying to maintain his good mood and positive thinking for too long. "Maybe this is not the right time..." There was something in her voice that made him look at her. Erik blinked, a frown knitting his brows. There was something different about her posture, in the way she held herself. Her voice was softer than usual as well.

"Right time for what?" For a moment he was afraid she wanted to dump him, that she had enough of him being a broody bastard. But that couldn't be because he could see excitement and joy all over her face even if she wasn't smiling, it was there, her eyes brighter than ever.

"I have a present for you." She lifted her hand from the table and a tiny white box came to his view. He raised an eyebrow, looking at her dumbfounded. "Check it." She urged him with a wave of her hand.

Erik sat besides her on the couch and reached for the box. It was light like it contained nothing. Maybe she just wanted to joke with him, lead up this giant surprise what was actually nothing. It wouldn't be out of character for her to do something like that just to get a laugh out of him.

"Come on, Erik, open it, not just stare at the box!" She nudged him impatiently as she knelt besides him, sitting back on her heels. Her cheeks were flushed with excitement and he chuckled lightly.

"New bones?" He asked jokingly.

"Sort of, just open for god's sake." She rolled her eyes and smacked him hard on the arm.

"Okay!" He lifted the top of the box off and for a moment all he could do was just staring at the content of the box. This was not what he expected. He didn't know what he thought would be in the box but not this. Could it be? Did this mean what he thought it meant? Was he this lucky?

"Erik?" Her voice hitched slightly as she shook him by the shoulder when he didn't say a word. "Erik!"

"Does this mean... Are you... Are we... Baby?" He stuttered, his cheeks flushed, his voice shaking. His eyes burnt as he kept staring at the pair of tiny white shoes, unable to drag his gaze away.

"We are not babies, no but there is one in me." She grinned at him and he could swear she was glowing.

"Are you sure?" He croaked, laughter ripping through him as he cupped her face in his hands.

"Couldn't be any more certain." She nodded but barely had time to finish the sentence when Erik pulled her into a kiss. In that moment, the happiest moment of his life, he forgot about his injury, about his plans that he might or might not be able to go through with because he realized he had all he needed and whatever happened with his career, he'd still be the luckiest man in the world.

Football fluffOn viuen les histories. Descobreix ara