14. The Conspiracies of the Universe

Start from the beginning

"What exactly were you curious about?" I felt a sharp gaze on me and knew instantly who it belonged to.

I still didn't bother to look at Ethan Clarke. Instead I turned around to faced the book shelf and studied the books before me as if if I did it hard enough, it would open up and pull me into its pages.

"Ms Bishop," Ethan Clarke's stern voice echoed loudly, making my fingers tighten around the bookshelf in front of me. "I see you've taken the time to get acquainted with Julian."

His words made my body turn around so quickly that I almost fell back from how fast I did as I took him in.

He was dressed in a navy blue double-breasted suit that accentuated his broad shoulders and his toned body. It made him look dangerously handsome but at the same time it made him look untouchable, like those exhibits that you keep behind bullet proof glass. His eyes were on me, sharp and looking at me as if they could pierce through me if they wanted to.

Instead of directing a glare his way or taking offense to his words, I smiled at him with an almost devious look.

I was tired of trying to explain to him that I had no interest in him or his wealth and the thought of him insinuating that I was now doing the same to his friend left me wanting to almost prove him right.

Almost, that is. I realized that I still had yet to prove to him that I hadn't tried to seduce him last night, and my proof was right in front of me.

"Mr Van Dyke and I were just talking about last night and how..." I cast a playful smirk at Julian who seemed to get what I was doing, "intoxicated you were last night after having a bit too much to drink."

Ethan furrowed his brows together as he studied me, trying to guess what I was thinking. When he came up empty, he turned to his friend, "Is it true that she only took me to her room to sleep?"

Julian arched a brow at me momentarily before he looked back at his friend. "Yes, I helped her take you to bed because we couldn't get you to your house."

Ethan looked at me, his face dark with suspicion. After what felt like awhile of him staring at me and me returning the favor, he huffed in frustration,"Fine." He turned to Julian. "If you're ready, let's leave."

Julian nodded before he looked at me and offered a smile, "I'll see you later, Ashleigh." He winked at me again, but this time it seemed like we were co-conspirators.

"Ms Bishop," Ethan interrupted, "I expect my house spotless by the time I get back. Diana's got a new list ready for you."

I pressed down the urge to roll my eyes as I nodded at him. "I understand, Mr Clarke."

"Here you go," Julian said as he tossed the book back to me.

And before I knew it, they left.

* * *

My feet were going numb as if to remind me that I had been sitting down for too long. I cast a quick look to the clock beside my mug of coffee and almost sighed in relief when I saw it reading that it was almost ten.

If I didn't get another call soon, I might leave right on the dot.

A smile slowly formed on my face as I anticipated the lasagna that Gerard said he would leave in the oven for me. My stomach grumbled in anticipation as if to remind me that I hadn't really eaten that well all day today thanks to the list that that demanding ass of a boss I had, had left behind on Saturday.

I took a sip of the coffee as if that could feel the hunger in the pits of my stomach. He was coming back tomorrow and I still had to waterblast the footpath and mow the lawn.

Just as  I was packing my stuff, the hotline by my booth rang.

I pasted on a smile even though I was exhausted already. Susan had mentioned that you can hear a smile on the other end of the line and that the person calling in needed someone friendly on the other end, not someone who wasn't happy to help or talk to.

"0800-Help-Me, this call is completely confidential. How may I help you today?" I said into the receiver when I answered it.

Silence echoed from the other end of the line.

"Hello? Is anyone there? Hello?"

I heard someone tapping on something from the other end before they sighed.

"Can I talk to Mary please?"

"Mary speaking," I replied, confused as to how the person on the other end knew my middle name. "How can I help you?"

"It's me."

Then it clicked who it was. The only person I had told my middle name to.

Mr. X.

•••|||•••

What did you think of this chapter?

MR X COMING SOON ❤❤