"I see... I just have one question, Maeve," he said and I nodded. "Who is he?"

"Who is who?" I asked, my heartbeat picking up slightly.

"The man you've fallen in love with."

"Fallen in... father, I'm not in love with anyone. I admittedly care for... for Spock, but-"

"The Commander?" he asked, his brow risen, but there was no surprise in his voice.

"Yes, but-"

"You realize now I have to meet him. I have to approve of him before he even thinks about laying a hand on you-" my face began to heat up.

"Father, please," I begged, tears pricking my eyes. I had already lost that which I never had. And I didn't need to be reminded. "I don't want to have this conversation tonight."

"Alright, alright," he admitted defeat. I had only just finished my small drink and father smiled at me. "You go spend time with your friends now. Do you want me to hold your bag? I'm not too sure how much dancing I'll be doing tonight."

"Thank you father," I said, handing him my handbag and kissing him quickly on the cheek before heading off into the crowd.

I made my way through people, finally finding Nyota standing with Jim, just watching the dancers.

"They're lovely dancers," I admitted quietly as I gestured to the floor where two young crew members were waltzing.

"Yeah, they're alright," Jim admitted.

"A lot of them are very lovely dancers in my opinion," I defended. Dancing was dancing, and the fact that they were dancing for the memory of so many individuals only made it all the more lovely. "Especially for untrained starship workers."

"I think so too," Nyota added. I sighed quietly.

"Five hundred people here, all for two women," I murmured.

"Many of us didn't know Amanda well, but we met her and we loved her. She was a very loving person," Jim said quietly. I felt tears begin to prick at my eyes. "And if your mother was able to help raise a woman as lovely as you, she had to be wonderful."

"How are you?" Ny interjected, trying to help me stay together.

"I'm fine," I told her with a small smile. "You look beautiful tonight."

"Thank you," she said with a huge smile before twirling in her deep red dress. It truly was stunning on her.

"And Jim, you look very spiffing tonight as well," I told him with another small smile.

"Why thank you," he said with a grin.

"But neither of us even compare to you. Everyone keeps staring at you. It's like Cinderella," Uhura said with a little wink and a smile. "You truly are a gorgeous girl. Everyone thinks so."

"Thank you," I said with a still-small smile. Normally the compliment would have made me happy, but I wasn't too sure how much could really make me happy tonight. And as long as no one asked me to do anything physical apart from dancing, I wouldn't embarrass myself.

Uhura glanced past me quickly, and a small smile tugged at her lips. "And here comes your Prince Charming." My brow for rowed in confusion at her statement. But only for a moment until I heard his voice.

"Maeve," I heard a gentle voice from behind me. A voice that made my heart leap. I turned quickly. Suddenly nothing mattered anymore-everything disappeared-except the man in front of me. And yet, the world was crumbling around me. All because of him.