Chapter 4 ~ On our way

Start from the beginning

"It's not... before your work-induced celibacy, where did you take them?"

"Their house mostly, maybe a hotel or two..." I took a mouthful of coffee. "Where did take yours?"

"I've been in two serious relationships, both complete idiots might I add and they would take me to their houses, other than that - I'm afraid I have almost no experience. I've never had a one night stand and so when Eddie threatened to take me without my permission - I was planning on killing him." I hadn't realised I had stopped eating and was gawking until she looked up, "are you going to be able to get those girls out?"

"Y-yep, but it's going to be a difficult extraction," she nodded, knowing exactly what it's like in there.

"Sssooo, you said about staying here with you for protection, what did you mean?"

"You're on Eddie's radar now, he may value money more but... I can see how much he wants you. If you stay here, we can keep you safe until after he's locked away for good."

"Won't I get in your way?"

"No," I replied matter-of-factly and went back to eating.

"Will you let me help?" I looked up at her.

"If you want to... sure... but you may see some horrible stuff. These men that buy these kids are not gentle or loving, they are brutal sadistic bastards, they thrive on the cruelty they inflict on helpless children. They believe that they are superior to everyone else and relish in the domination and suffering, you can help sure, but if I see you struggling..."

"You can remove me, please Arlo... I have to get Paisley back," I nodded at her.

Fuck, I was losing my mind and losing it fast.

__________

We had spent all day together, laughing and wandering aimlessly along the beach. Talking to her was as easy as breathing, yes, she would change subjects when it came to a line of questioning she wasn't comfortable with but for the most part, she was open and I got to really know a lot about her... but, I felt more towards her. This is getting dangerous for my heart.

It was time for dinner with the family. She walked out of the bathroom in black skinny jeans and my basketball singlet and socks. I swallowed hard, she had no makeup on and yet, she looked stunning. "Y-y y-you're beauti... ready?" I stuttered.

"What if they don't like me?" She bit her bottom lip insecurely.

"Why would they not like you?" I was thrown by her question, how could anyone not like her?

She exhaled hard, "I'm defensive when it comes to questioning."

"I've noticed..." I laughed, rolling my eyes. "C'mon," I grabbed her hand and walked to the elevator, talking non-stop about my family and probably who was going to be there.

"So, your whole family then?" I watched her trying not to hyperventilate.

"No, probably not my grandparents... just everyone who lives here." I could see the reservation written on her face. "They are normal people Harlyn, just nuts."

"They are not normal, normal people don't just accept bringing an unknown woman home that their son picked up while trying to bust a child prostitution and slavery ring... and... why do so many people live here?"

"You're freaking out." Harlyn blushed, oh god did she blush, I damn near died on the spot. "Th-they've always lived here, I never bothered to ask why." I stopped before pushing the door open, "you look beautiful by the way." Her mouth flopped open, "just thought I'd let you know before we went in, I had trouble getting the words out before," I pulled her by the hand and strode confidently in.