Chapter Thirteen

The morning was colder than Regina had expected and the thin running jacket she wore was not enough to keep the chill out of her bones. She hadn't had time to be picky when choosing her attire and hastily grabbed some yoga pants, a tight T-shirt and jacket. At least the running shoes completed the outfit and it seemed as though the mayor had woken early to go for a run.

After having driven around for sometime she found herself in Kathryn and David Nolan's driveway. Regina immediately thought better of it and put the Mercedes in reverse backing out quickly into the street.

"Regina!" Kathryn called. When the black car didn't stop, the blonde ran out to the sidewalk to get the other woman's attention.

Regina was on the street and putting the car in drive when a blonde in a bathrobe waiving her arms wildly caught her attention. Damn it. The brunette cursed to herself. It was stupid to have come here. A moment of weakness. . . I seem to be having a lot of those lately.

Kathryn came up to the car holding the newspaper she had picked up off her doorstep and waited for the mayor to lower her driver's side window.

"Good Morning Regina. What are you doing here? Are you alright?" Kathryn asked, immediately noticing something was off with the mayor.

"Oh I was going to return that dish from the delicious cake you brought over, but I just realized I left it at home." Regina smiled widely trying to sell her story.

"You drove over on a Saturday at six in the morning to bring a cake dish, but didn't actually bring it?" Kathryn asked quizzically.

"I guess I got a little too into my workout." Regina's smiling was becoming almost frantic. "I'm sorry to have bothered you. I'll see you later." Regina kept grinning and gave Kathryn a wave good bye.

"Regina." Kathryn put her hand on the woman's forearm to keep the mayor from leaving. The blonde regarded her friend who was looking more out of character as the moments went on. She noticed brown hair was uncombed but the mayor didn't look like she had been exercising. Regina's makeup was messy and may have even been from the night before. "At least come in for some coffee. I just made some."

"No. I wouldn't want to intrude on your and David's morning." Regina wanted to scream for having created this whole new disaster for herself. She was desperate to extricate herself from the exchange, but couldn't find an exit.

"David won't be awake for another five hours. He sleeps in on Saturdays. We have time for coffee and a chat. Plus I haven't really seen you in months. We can catch up." Kathryn smiled warmly.

Regina finally forced out an exhale of defeat. "Of course. That would be lovely, thank you." The brunette smiled tightly.

"So where have you been hiding?" Kathryn asked pulling out two mugs from the cupboard.

"You know, just the usual. What have you been up to? How is David?" Regina asked trying to take the spotlight off of herself.

"Nothing exciting here. But I don't believe the same is true for you. Come on Regina spill." The blonde set down the coffee in front of the mayor and waited for her friend to give her the gossip.

"Really Kathryn, there isn't anything special." Regina sipped her coffee and looked at the time on the oven surreptitiously. The mayor decided forty-five minutes would be the appropriate amount of time she should spend at this impromptu visit to not offend the closest person she had to a friend.

Kathryn put her hands up in mock surrender and dropped the subject. She had learned that when Regina didn't want to talk about something there was no getting it out if her. Still, the blonde eyed the brunette suspiciously, trying to figure out what her friend was hiding.