"Yes mother?"

"Are you following us to bazaar opening for the Winter Carnival? Your father and I are going to go have a look at the area so if you want to join in, get ready."

Biting my lip, my brows furrowed together thoughtfully. Every season, we would have a carnival to help the middle and lower classed income makers. I know for a fact that Mrs. Nolan sells all these unique trinkets there every year.

I feel really bad for her sometimes. Due to her family's reputation, she doesn't get a lot of job opportunities. The only time she ever gets any sort of support from the people in Barnslow is during these carnivals. Her handmade items are just too beautiful to refute.

"Are you coming or not, sweetheart?" I looked down towards and made my decision right there. Giving her a quick nod and a cheeky thumbs up, I ran to my room. In less than five minutes, I got myself ready and hurried down when my mom called out in a teasing tone that she was going to leave me. Putting on my Ugg boots, I gave her a mock glare and she chuckled when I pouted.

A cheery smile made its way to my lips. I felt happy looking at mother who was in a good mood today. Lately, both father and she have been burdened with stress over the elections. Apparently, one of their competitors have gained quite a number of supporters and that worried father to no end, hence making worrying mother as well.

I disliked whenever elections was around because both my parents have their 'political masks' on twenty four seven. Usually, they were more laid back and relaxed, not constantly drowning in paperwork and events.

Even though we barely spend time with one another, I know deep down, we all love one another. Mother's love for father is so strong that she was willing to sacrifice her life for his politics. Father, on the other hand, constantly does sweet things for her, from showering her with gifts to something as simple as making her favorite breakfast.

"Hey, sweetheart." I walked towards my father and he gave a swift kiss on the cheek. Amused at his surprisingly cheerful mood, I gave him an incredulous look.

"Well, someone's in a good mood."

"Yeah, yeah. Things are turning a=out well and I thought maybe we could treat ourselves for today. How does ice cream sound to you?"

My heart swelled with happiness as I saw the smiles on my parents' faces and the loving glances they kept giving to one another. I always thought it was romantic how their love never faded, being in politics. Giving my father a quick nod, I opened the door to the backseats and slid all the way to the corner. I felt the car start up and as I leaned towards the window, I can't help but feel like it was going to be one of the best days I've had in a while.

Just per usual, my thought gravitated to him and my mood soured and at the same time brightened slightly. I tried my best to remember the better days, rather than those that were splashed with pain. Having control over myself was mentally exhausting but I clung on this small piece of rationality I still owned.

I remembered those days where he I would be down in the dumps and he would just sling me over his shoulder and carry me all the way to his car and plop me down rather roughly on the backseat. Then, he would drive all the way to my favorite ice cream shop at the opposite end of the town. I would order a three scoop ice cream, cookie dough, rainbow sherbet and cookies and cream. He would order just two scoops, the flavors always changing every time we come here and he would add all the toppings.

A particular incident sparked my memory and a melancholic smile made its way to my lips.

"Now you want to tell me what's wrong, Raynbow?" I pouted at his blackmail and glanced longingly and at my bowl of ice cream in his hands. I didn't want to tell him because it would make him upset and I hated seeing him upset.