three; momentary

I woke up the next morning feeling like I had just won the lottery. My heart was thumping with giddiness and pure exhilaration. I was acting like a drunken fool but really, who cares?

Usually, I would wake up with a groan, cursing how I couldn't laze around like other teenagers during the holidays. Instead, I had to wake up and rush about for the next event that father will bring me to.

Today, though, I woke up with a smile on my face -literally- and I skipped around my room, choosing my outfits for the day. I could feel the sense of settlement between Derrick and I and had a strong feeling that our early morning meetings would soon be a routine.

Or maybe I'm being biased only own fantasies.

Humming a random tune to myself, I picked out a blue dress with a sweetheart neckline and twirled around with it, laughter bubbling within me. I felt like I was one of those sickeningly sweet Disney princesses and that thought reminded me of how Derrick had decidedly to nickname me Belle.

If a beast was as good looking as him, then Oxford dictionary needs a new definition.

I scanned around my wardrobe for shoes to match my dress and the black pumps at the end of the shelf caught my eye. The color would match perfectly with black lace that lined the waist of my dress. Nodding my head in agreement, I plucked them out of the wardrobe and strode out to my room.

The minute I placed the dress and the shoes on my bed, I staggered a few steps back in utter shock as my mind registered my actions. My eyes widened as I came to a realization.

It was the dress.

How could I have not noticed?

Cautiously, my fingers lightly grazed the material and I flipped it over, my eyes scanning the designer label frantically. My heart stopped for a moment as I threw the dress away from my hands, as if it was the most unholy thing I've ever seen. Shaking my head, I beat myself up mentally for not realizing. My eyes filled with tears as my memories engulfed me whole.

"That actually looks good on you," he complimented, feigning a surprised expression as if he couldn't imagine that anything would look good on me. Rolling my eyes, I whacked him the end of my purse and muttered a sarcastic thank you. He yelped in pain and gave a glare, but I saw the teasing spark in his green eyes.

"I should report you for domestic abuse, Ray. Seriously, this has to be at least the tenth time you hit me today."

"Suck it up and be a man," I said dismissively. He poked his tongue out childishly at me in return. I walked past him and he trailed along behind and suddenly I felt the back of my dress being yanked.

"Hey!" I heard him trying to read the designer label on the dress.

"Lilac Rose. What a stupid name. Who would even name their daughter that? If I had a name like, I would just crawl in a cave and hide there," he rattled off. I smacked him on the head and he opened his mouth, probably to talk about my domestic abuse on him before I cut him off.

"It's not a real name and by the way, that's a guy." He looked horrified at my statement and muttered something about how these people like that make men sound bad.

I chuckled at his pout and cooed at him like a baby. He huffed and folded his arms which made me laugh even harder. Next thing I knew, my palms made contact with the hard tiles and my face was inches away from the floor. I glared at his laughing form, feeling unsatisfied.

"I hate you," I muttered.

I snapped back to reality and realized that I had been crying. That I still was crying. I picked up the dress and gripped it tightly between my fingers, now full on sobbing.